Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
STLbrew

Aeration & Acetaldehyde

I just passed the 2 week point in fermentation and the batch has a heavy cider taste.  I'm hoping that another week in the LBK and four more in the bottle will soften this; but will it ever go away completely?

Do most batches go through this "cider phase" or did I screw something up?  I was paranoid about sanitation and my temperatures have been ideal. The only thing I can think of is that I didn't aerate enough.  IMHO the Mr. Beer instructions don't stress enough how important it is to areate.  I've read on here to stir until both arms fall off...but that was after I pitched the yeast.

Aeration is important to give the yeast a good start. The yeast use an anaerobic process to produce the alcohol and CO2. Along the way they may produce alcohols other than ethanol, some ketones, aldehydes and esters. Letting the brew ferment 3 weeks can help "clean up" some of the other products of fermentation (although some styles of beer are distinctive due to these products). The cider taste should lessen with another week  fermenting, and more importantly conditioning in the bottle (four weeks or longer near room temperature). The Screwy Brewer has a great explanation of yeast and fermentation which is worth reading on his web site or archived ( I think) here on the MB site. The Beer Borg site also has some great information. Good luck. 

STLbrew said:Do most batches go through this "cider phase" or did I screw something up? 

You didn't screw anything up, this is green beer.  It's why it needs to condition at room temperature for 4+ weeks.