Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
ronmack

Taste Question

Is it okay after bottling to taste your first brew starting one week in. Just one bottle. Then one bottle at seven day intervals to s observe different taste? Oh and hello everyone! Been perving the forum a little.

it's probably going be flattish and not taste very good. but it's your beer.  i would wait at least 2 weeks before I opened any,  but they probably won't be ready till at least 4 weeks in the bottle.   

You can certainly do it, especially as an experiment.  However, I wouldn't recommend it, because you are bound to be dissapointed.  Nearly every time I've taken one early, I've been disappointed.  I tell myself that it's because I had it too early, but the disappointed feeling still lingers.  Then I wait the proper time, and wouldn't you know it, it's a dang good beer.

It is illegal to do so.  Violation is punishable by having your entire batch of beer confiscated by the Beer Police.  If you do so, to avoid prosecution, send your remaining beer to:

RickBeer

123 I Will Drink Your Beer Lane

Ann Arbor, MI  48105

As a duly authorized Beer Police officer I will closely examine every bottle and report back after they have all been consumed.

I’d say quite a few brewers succumbed to the urge to taste one after a week in the bottle for their first batch. 

My advice is to use a couple smaller bottles than the Lt PETs for this purpose.  This way you’re not drinking 1/8 of the batch way too early.  If you can find 8 – 10oz plastic soda bottles, use a couple for sampling during the carb-conditioning phase.   I normally open one after 2 weeks and it is always one of the smaller bottles. But I also have a good 7-8 cases of brews in the pipeline right now so it’s not that hard to wait.

But beware, I’ve found that after one week, there’s a 50-50 chance (based on my experience) that the beer will be under-carbonated.

Bottom line - It’s YOUR beer, you’ll have to decide for yourself.  We can all give you info and suggestions, but in the end it’s up to YOU!!!

ronmack said:Is it okay after bottling to taste your first brew starting one week in. Just one bottle. Then one bottle at seven day intervals to s observe different taste? Oh and hello everyone! Been perving the forum a little.

Without a doubt, you can.  I'd even argue if you are a new brewer, you should!  It will teach you some very important things, that you just can't really learn unless you try it yourself.

I agree. As a new brewer, it can be very educational to taste the beer at every step of the process. You'll learn which flavors change, which ones condition out, how the character of your beer changes from wort, through the fermentation and then bottling stages. Since natural carbing is a secondary fermentation, you will notice a definite progression of flavors as the yeast produce and reabsorb their various by products. Anything you do to know your beer better will make you a better brewer. I also agree that you want to use smaller bottles. Some of the early beer won't be very special, and you don't want to waste any more than you have to.

You can do it as a learning experience.  Just to see how the flavor profile changes over time.  Try 1 at 1 week, 1 at 2 weeks, and so on.  In the end it is your beer to do as you wish.