Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
raiderrob67

QBrew???

I don't know what I am doing wrong but I have tried to download QBrew 3 time's and have had nothing but problem's. the first time it downloaded a bunch of extra crap I don't want like weather alerts, I have no clue what happened the second time? my computer just would not download it. I just tried again and this time got a warning saying the site was unsafe and had been reported for malware. don't know if it is a problem with QBrew or 7 zip? I know many people on here use it and like it, but I guess I will never find out why. 

QBrew itself does not have these problems, but hackers are getting more and more devious in tricking you into corrupting your computer.  I would trust the vesion at www.thescrewybrewer.com, and also download the QBrew database that's there, since it includes Mr Beer ingredients, and check Screwy's instructions for use. 

QBrew is what I use most often, since I can keep detailed brewing notes and records in its Notes section, and can easily print my recipes in a nice format.  It it has less features than programs like Beersmith, which I also use, but that keeps it easy to learn. 

I have other brew programs I use but the only problem is none of them have Mr.Beer ingredient's. I will try again from the link at The Screwy brewer.

I've downloaded and installed the newest version with mr beer ingredients within the last few days. I had no problems to speak of. 

I have official given up on trying to download this QBrew thing. after my 4th attempt ended in udder failure I just have to except the fact that either I am just not smart enough to do it or the damn thing is whacked and you all have been yanking my chain. LOL I will assume that the former is the most likely answer. I just downloaded BeerSmith for a 21 day free trail.

The few that have had issues seem to be dowloading it from the ORIGINAL location, NOT Screwy's site.  Below is the correct location on his QBrew page to download it from.  It is a zipped file and you will need some unzipping software or have Windows do it depending on the version.

fc8ea080-5526-4377-9688-2d184601e3d0.JPG

Yes. I have used that link 3 of the 4 times. I think I am just having a problem with the zip download but like I said, I am done with it. thanks for trying to help.

I had issues with Q brew as well.  Downloaded it on my wife's work laptop, computer crashed a few times, she said it started happening as soon as we downloaded it.  

I use brewers friend all the time too but there are times when I cant because it doesn't have all the extract types like rye or golden/amber.  or it will be missing a hop type , though I can manually enter the alpha acid% and other info.  I like bf because you can scale a 5 gallon recipe to anything you want automatically... and see if your home concoctions match the style guidelines etc.

I use BeerSmith.  Paid for the new version but am using the old one primarily as it will run on a USB on a work computer my employer thinks for some strange reason does not have to have beer software on and thus will not let me do an install.

Regarding the HMEs, for the most part I simply use a standard malt similar in color.  Im not too concerned about the IBUs since they are going to be pretty much what MrB says they are.  Since HMEs dont get boiled, pretty much any hop addition will be aroma only.  Really, the only reason I even use it in the first place is so I have a brew day sheet and dont forget to do anything.

I did have a file for BeerSmith with all the HMEs and LMEs but they were for their older formulations and not the new ones.

OK. I have finally been able to download this program, I really want to be able to use it because it looks like this is the only one that has Mr.Beer products but I can not for the life of me figure out how to extract the data file from 7zip to QBrew. I have read and reread the directions 20X. since these guys went through all the trouble to put this thing togather why did they not just make a one click and done download? I am yanking my hair out here and I don't have any beer to drink. 

Try right clicking on the zip file and go to "open with". Select "Windows explorer". You should then be able to click on the icon that shows up in the pop up window, and install from there...

Yea.......no! all it does is pop up the program text i.e File@ex///?name;twistmybrainintoafuckingpretzel///.urretarde.orgLOL

I believe I have downloaded the zipped data file just can not find where to put it. I tried unzip to Qbrew but that did not work. in the directions it says  Locate the .qbrewdata file in the C:Program FilesqBrew folder and rename it
to .qbrewdata-orig.  Unzip the .qbrewdata file from the screwy-qbrewdata.zip
file you downloaded and copy it to the  C:Program FilesqBrew folder, qBrew
will load this latest database file when it runs.

I can not find this file in my C;/Program?

It sounds like you're making progress, although it's frustrating sometimes when we use software where we don't pay for tech support.  Renaming to .qbrewdata-orig would be done to retain the original data file when you download ScrewyBrewer's data with MB ingredients.  Download Screwy's file, make sure to rename it to .qbrewdata and put it in the same folder as QBrew, and you should be set. 

Yea well I was not able to find the file, but my sister in-law did. it was in the Program files X86. any way we got it all worked out, took her 10 minutes what I was trying to do for an hour and a half. I do like the program now that I have it working. so much easer with all the MB ingredient's than trying to use Beersmith or others and try to figure out how to make it right. I will still use Beersmith and probably buy the full version later. 

Any one know what style a Mexican cervesa is in the QBrew? I don't see it in there and have not found it in other brewing programs either.

Yep, I found that. what I was looking for is the style i.e American slandered lager or IPA. I want to do an all grain Mexican cerveza and I want to try and match the style profile but I cant find it on QBrew or beersmith. 

For the style, I made an Agave Cerveza and few months ago, including the Aztec Mexican Cerveza, and entered it in a competition in one of the specialty beer categories.  In those categories, you need to state what the base category is, without the specialty additions.  The closest I could identify is Cream Ale.