Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
fryfly

coming out of the closet?

Getting ready to start my first batch and due to the cooler temps in my basement I would like to place my container in a middle bathroom closet in our house. The closet is nearly empty, has plenty of shelves and is the warmest room in the entire house and is around 70 degrees all the time. During the fermentation process will the gasses given off cause an odor that the wife will notice and make me move to another location? Once the process starts, in no way do I want to disturb or interrupt in any way my container until the time comes to bottle and condition.

Thank you in advance.

It's so tempting, I have to.  If SWMBO puts up with your odor...  :)  Rim shot!

The beer will give off "some" odor, depending upon which brew it is.  It is NOT very strong and should NOT be a problem.

That said - ideally - you want mid to upper 60s.  70 means for the first few days when it's active the wort will be high 70s and that's not ideal. 

Keep in mind that if your thermostat says 70 on the wall it's 68 or lower on the floor.  

I was afraid of that. My basement is 62 to 64 degrees, so is that too cold or will I need to find a spot that is a few degrees warmer?

My basement is that too, although right now it's pushing 60.  I moved my latest batch upstairs, got it up to 66 right now.  If truly 64, that would be fine.  Put the thermometer in different spots, including the closet floor, and see.

You can also start in basement, then move it upstairs.

Get a stick on aquarium thermometer.

I have had most of my beers ferment near 64-66 deg F. in the basement (right now it is 62 next to the LBK) I let them sit for three weeks and I can honestly say that all were very "clean": beers, that is they had no cider like or off flavors. During the summer I did not brew as the basement gets between 74-78 which I feel is too high.

You can still brew in the summer with those temp's 74-78 in your basement. place your fermenter in a shallow tub of water to just under the spigot. put a towel over it. the towel will draw up some water and cause evaporation which will help cool your beer. if you need to go colder you can either have a fan blowing on it or stick one or 2 frozen water bottles in the tub of water. I have my LBK in a bath tub that is not being used, there is a wet towel over it(I had the fan going on it for the first 3 days. it is 75F in my house and my beer is sitting at 64F.