Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Ander167

First Time Brewing - How Long is Too Long?

Hey everyone,

I got a Mr. Beer kit for Christmas, and I have my first batch of a Northwest Pale Ale fermenting. My roommate and I did some research before our first brew and read a lot of bad reviews for the Mr. Beer kit, but we found that the people who were getting better results were the ones who gave each process more time than the instructions actually recommended. Now he's insisting that we let it ferment for 3 weeks, carbonate for 2 weeks, and condition for another 2 weeks. I'm thinking that might be overkill, but I'm more than willing to be patient if that much time will really get me a better quality beer. Any advice on whether that's too long for a Northwest Pale Ale?

Thanks!

Most of us recommend 3 weeks in the fermenter, then 4 weeks in the bottle at room temp to carb and condition. Patience is a virtue in homebrewing.

The LONGER the better. Three weeks fermenting and after bottling, 4 weeks conditioning. Then put it in the fridge for a few days and try one. That should eliminate any "green" taste. It's hard, I know. You want to try it but time inside those bottles will cure a lot of problems.

Because of too much stuff going on at home I've left one batch in the fermenter for just over a month, bottled it, lit it sit another couple of months before I drank any, and the results were fine. I'm sure there's an upper limit, but it's WAY over 3 weeks fermenting and 4 conditioning. The style of beer makes a difference in conditioning time--Classic American Light will be fine with the 3-4 method, but Winter Dark Ale needs more time. 

I know what you mean I have seen , 2-2-2, 3-4 and plenty of other advice being thrown out there.