Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
tayclem

Yeast Preservation Question

At the moment, I only have one LBK and many, many beer ideas. 

I've got some cans of HME that I've ordered, and I've also read a lot of posts on here about people having problems with yeast not holding up in storage.

I was wondering if I can do what my mother does with her baker's yeast and toss my brewer's packets in the freezer to keep for a few weeks; reviving in some warm water when I'm ready to pitch.

Will the cold kill the yeast since it's a different strain?

As soon as I get an HME, I take out the yeast packet, put it in a ziploc bag, and put it in the fridge. Will last many months that way.

Alrighty. 

Thanks a bunch! All these "dead yeast" posts had me a little worried about my future batches.

Yeast keeps for YEARS when properly stored, i.e. not stored in high temps (like an attic).  Ziploc bag in the frig, not freezer, prolongs life.  I regularly use two year old yeast.  

Posts I have seen are from product bought years ago.

If it's going to be weeks, don't bother putting it in the frig.

Rick is right--I've had a few refills bought from the LHBS that I've then kept around for a few months before brewing, and NEVER had bad yeast from Mr. Beer. I would suspect that people having dead yeast have let it get too hot--that's the sure way to kill it. The yeast packets seem to be well sealed, so they should store just fine, even without any further packaging. . Make sure you remove the yeast packet from under the can cover before letting the can sit in hot water, and make sure the wort is at a safe temperature before adding the yeast and all should be well. 

I always put the yeast in the freezer if it is going to be a while before I can use it.  My yeast always seems to perform well.