Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
OUdrank12

Hydro Reading

My FG hydro readings are routinely coming in very low, like 1.003.  My OG is 1.046.   Does that sound right?  When I put the recipe in brewers friend, they usually predict a FG of 1.007, and it is always much lower, even after I correct for temp.

if I manually change the yeast attuntuation from 80% to about 93% on brewers friend then it comes up correct, but I don't get how my Safale05 could be doing so well.  I use a half pack for my 2.5 gal batches, I don't do a starter, and I keep the yeast in the freezer, all no-no's.

90% attenuation with Safale US-05 does seem high.  One thing to check is the hydrometer calibration, ideally using distilled water at 60 F, although the mineral content in tap water shouldn't matter very much.  For example, if it reads 0.998, you would need to add 0.002 to all readings using that hydrometer.  Temperature affects the reading, because hot water is less dense than the standard 60 F reference.  A reading of 1.040 at 70 is really 1.041 at 60, and a reading of 1.040 at 80 is 1.042 at 60.  Beersmith can compute this correction, and calculators are available on a few websites that you can find using Google. 

Checking the calibration is a good idea. Some hydrometers are designed for 70 degrees, so check the markings on the hydrometer.