Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
mregione

thoughts on adding lme to patriot lager and american light

I picked up briess 1 lb of amber lme and 1 lb light lme with the thoughts of adding the amber to my next patriot lager and the light to the American light.  Looking for advice on this approach and/or if I should also look at some hops?  I tried searching for some advice with no luck.  Sorry if this has been asked and answered before.

Adding a pound of LME to any Mr. Beer refill has a small impact on things - i.e. it makes it a bit maltier and less hoppy.  I always add a pound of LME, and never add hops (unless it's a Mr. Beer recipe), but I like malty beers.  

I always use pale/light as it has the least impact.  Read the amber description and you'll see what impact it will have.  Patriot is not a dark beer, so amber will change the color noticeably if you care.

So it sounds like light would be a better way to go with the patriot lager also.  I assume you mix it at the same time as the hme?  thanks for your help.

I just made a brew with Patriot plus 1 lb amber lme but haven't bottled it yet. I think it will make a good combination. Yes you can mix them at the same time. Remember, never boil the HME.

As to when to add LME / DME, it depends.  If you buy LME from Mr. Beer, you add it to the pot per the instructions, which has you pour both into the hot water that you just removed from the stove.

If you buy DME, or bulk LME, you heat water, stir in the LME / DME off the stove, then return the wort to the stove until it boils.  Assuming you don't add hops, you boil for at least 5 minutes to remove any "bugs", then remove from the stove and add the HME.  

I only use bulk LME, purchased locally, which I get for $2.50 per pound.  If I use it with Mr. Beer refills, I boil for 15 minutes.  If I make a recipe, I boil for the entire hour.

Thanks, so boil my bulk lme for 15 minutes, remove from heat and add the hme from the mr beer refill kit.  Glad I asked because I would have just added the lme at the same time as the hme.

My next patch is going to be the powerful patriot recipe. I just took advantage of the 2-1 Deluxe all malt patriot lager deal and still have the CAL that came with my kit. I will be adding the Brewmax softpack pale LME that came with the patriot lager refill. I may also add 1/2lb of DME pale and two hop additions? I will do a 30 minute boil with 1/2oz Liberty hops at the start and 1/4oz Liberty hops at flame out. 

Here are the stats using QBrew

Batch size: 2 Gallons

OG: 10.86

Est. FG: 10.21

IBU: 32

SRM: 5

ABV: 8.3%

ABW: 6.5%

I call it Extreme Patriot.

I wanna take my Patriot Lager and add 1 lbs of Light DME and an oz or so of cascade hops.

Now I wanna make it more bitter, so according to RickBeer if I recall correctly I have to take my 4 cups of water and stir in the DME and then bring it to boil add my hops, and then boil for a few mins, remove from heat and then add the Patriot lager? Also if I add honey would it be better to add it with the patriot lager or add it with the DME?

I just did the deluxe Pat Lager and added 8oz lt. DME and some Nelson Sauvaugn(sp?) hops.

I added the Brewmax LME and DME to almost boiling water, brought to a boil, added 9grams of the hops and boiled for 10 minutes.  Shut off the burner and added the HME.

In the LBK, it put my cold water in along with the remainder of the Nelsons (bout 18-19grams) in a hopsack and then added my wort and topped off with water to the bottom of the Q.

I didn’t take a gravity reading but off the top of my head think it should be around 5.5% abv.  It’s been in the LBK for a week now and there was a nice fruity smell coming from it during active fermentation due to the hops.

I added 1lb of DME (Briess Pilsen Light) to the Patriot Lager on Sunday and the fermentation has been strong ever since.  I gradually mixed the DME into 4 cups of water as it was heating up and removed after reaching a boil.  Then I added the HME and proceeded as usual.  I'm really hoping this adds to the body of the beer, plus the ABV boost is nice.  The LBK has a healthy krausen and the smell is pretty strong, so I'm guessing this one will need the full 3 weeks.  Good luck!

I just got done brewing the Extreme Patriot. not going to be quit as extreme as intended. OG was lower than expected at 1.066 then I had to add 3 cups of ice to get the temp down low enough to pitch the yeast.

I was going to do the patriot lager with 1 lb pale lme and 1/4 cup honey.  should I boil the lme for 15 minutes, then add honey and remove from heat and add hme?  also should I use more than the 4 cups water called for by Mr Beer to account for some boil off during the lme boil?

mregione said:I was going to do the patriot lager with 1 lb pale lme and 1/4 cup honey.  should I boil the lme for 15 minutes, then add honey and remove from heat and add hme?  also should I use more than the 4 cups water called for by Mr Beer to account for some boil off during the lme boil?

There won't be a lot of boil off with 15 minutes, but 1 1/2 quarts (6 cups) should work fine.  Add the LME to hot water OFF the stove, stir it in, then put it back on and bring to a boil.  There is no reason to not add the honey at the same time as the LME.  

Here is what I am brewing tomorrow:

Patriot HME 

1 lb. Wheat LME

4 oz carapils

1/2 oz citra for 20 min

1/2 teaspoon ground coriander

zest of 1 lemon

4 oz orange juice

Lallemand Munich Wheat beer yeast .388 oz

will dry hop 1/2 oz  cascades

sounds good. I am going to do a 3 1/4 gallon batch of the Blue Patriot. adding 1lb DME light, 4oz carapils, 6oz booster, 1/4oz Amarillo @ 20, 1/4oz Amarillo @ 10. 3 cans of Oregon fruit blueberry's in the secondary. 

I just did a batch of Patriot Lager using the Dad's favorite cream ale recipe from Mr beer as a guideline.  I boiled 1 lb of light lme and honey for 15 minutes and then removed from heat and followed the standard mr beer directions.  I got the OG recommended for the recipe and fermentation started a bit quicker than what I have seen on my previous batches (standard refill with no modifications).  I can see some experimentation in my future I think.