Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
kvolms2

Classic American Light suggestions for improving

First off, I'm new to the forum and new to the MRB way of brewing. My brother and I frequently follow recipe kits in 5 gallon batches, usually about 2-3 times per year and we really enjoy it (we brewed a robust porter yesterday, looking forward to it). My wife bought me a MRB kit the other day because I have expressed interest in brewing more frequently and trying things myself and thought it would be better to do so in smaller quantities first. That being said, I have a wide range of "tastes" when it comes to craft beers and there aren't many I've came across that I didn't like. My kit came with the Classic American Light and I am looking for suggestions on improving it to not be just a "light" beer. I'm really a hophead at heart and would love for some way to make this kit into an IPA or APA if that is possible with added ingredients. Thanks for any help, looking forward to learning new experiments with my own recipes eventually. 

Try adding a pack of LME or DME. To me, the CAL tastes really weak and watery, so any help it gets is a vast improvement. Maybe you could get a little crystal malt  grain to steep with the HME. 

As for an IPA flavor, a few ounces of Simcoe and Fuggles hops added to the boil (and dry hopped as well) would give you a decent end product, I think.

2 cans of CAL in one batch give a stronger flavor and more alcohol, and with a half ounce of hops added I think it would be decent. Better yet, a pound or so of malt extract boiled with a half ounce, or even an ounce, of hops for 20 minutes or so, then turning off the fire and adding a can of HME and proceeding as usual will probably give you good results. 

If you are going to start modifying HME recipes, I would go to Screwy Brewer's site and download the QBrew application.  It is a simple to use brewing software that has the MrBeer profiles and most other ingredients that will allow you to "play" and design something you may like....hoppy, malty etc...Addin another can and steeping grains are the easiest ways to start followed by additional hops and partial mashes.

Hey I just brewed my first CAL kit and knew I had to jazz it up. So I found and followed the Horse's Ass Ale recipe from the Mr Beer website. It says to add 1 cup of honey and 1.5oz of cascade hops.

Bout to bottle in a few days so I can let ya know how it turns out. Im also a hophead at heart and my favorite style are IPA's, so Im crossing my fingers.

Another thing I might try in the future is adding a pound of light DME and boil it first with a couple oz's of columbus and cascade hops

Ahhh.. I believe that recipe says 1) 1/2oz  package of hops. I guess you could add 1.5oz if that is what you like.

Update: I bottled the Horses Ass kit a few days ago, and it had a lot more hoppy aroma than I thought it would. When I did a taste sample a few days prior it tasted like beer but had a lil cidery taste. Im assuming that will fade out once it has been carbed and conditioned. Also, the beer was foggier than I thought it would be, but again that could clear up after a few weeks, and I also didn't cold crash.

You might enjoy Santa Catalina Pale Ale recipe (CAL & American Ale).  Haven't tried that one myself, but it has good reviews from those who have.  I made the Powerful Patriot Ale recipe (CAL & Patriot Lager) and was very happy with the results.

Oh shit you're totally right it does say one half oz...not1 and a 1/2 oz lol. Oops guess Im the Horses Ass now, oh well. Maybe I will call it Hoppy Horses Ass lol