Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Trev

New Guy needs help

Hello all.

First time on this forum and currently doing my first home Brew in a Mr Beer :-)

Im in Australia and find it a bit tricky finding the Booster Packs. If I wanted to boost the Alcohol content a little what would I add? and what would be the correct amount to add?

Im totally new to home brewing so I thought this might be a good place to find Mr Beer experts :-p

Any info would be greatly appreciated thanks.

The best advice for a newbie is to make a few batches as is until you've got the process down. Then you can start adding things. The best way to up the ante is by adding more malt. Either Dry Malt Extract or Liquid Malt Extract will work. I don't know about the availability over there.

When you're ready to add ingredients (great advice to wait), Coopers in Australia owns Mr. Beer and you may find wide availability of their homebrew products.

Thanks for the tips .

I agree as im new at this I will  keep it really simple for now and just stick to  the basic ingrediants.

Yes Coopers down here do own Mr Beer, but at the moment they only seem to be on sale at Target stores and are only a "seasonal item" . so basically they sell them around fathers day and that's it :-( .  I can get the can HME refill with the yeast under the lid, but that's about the only Mr Beer accessories  available . Coopers website don't sell the stuff either.

So whenever im confident enough to add anything to BOOST the beer im gonna have to rely on somebodys knowledge to add the right amount.

dry malt extract, liquid malt extract, dextrose. you can also use the Cooper's Brew Enhancers, probably split them into 2 batches. 

Are there stores in Australia catering to home brewers? There are many in the U.S. I absolutely agree that malt extract is the best thing to add. I know that buying things from outside one's own country of residence can be anything from easy to very difficult, so local advice is your best bet. You might check this link:  http://aussiehomebrewer.com/

I hope it works out well!

FWIW, I have found that a 3.3 lb can of liquid malt extract plus hops and yeast can make a really good LBK sized batch of beer. I'd suggest not more than half of a 3.3 lb can added to one of Mr. Beer's standard sized refills to boost it. 

Well, my advice would be to see if there are any LHBS's (Local Home Brew Store) in your area, or that do mail-order that are based out of Australia.  Then what you'll want to add is ~225g (give or take) of either DME or LME (they are the same thing, just one is dry, the other is liquid).

I'm betting you could give Cooper's headquarter's a call, and find out where they have a local retailer, or use their web-site:

http://www.coopers.com.au/#/beerfinder/store/store/

https://store.coopers.com.au/shop-diy-beer/