Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
STLbrew

Thank You & Bavarian Weiss

Just bottled my first batch and started the next two, but I want to thank everyone on the forum.  

Had I not done my reading and taken your advice, I probably would have been a one hit wonder in the brewing world.  

Quick question regarding the Bavarian Weiss though; is it better to ferment at slightly higher temps to bring out the banana flavor?  I shoot for 66F, but was thinking about going higher with this one.  Any thoughts?  Also how does this one stack up?  Is it a good refill?

I think you can ferment at 66F to develop the clove notes and then bring it up on the last week to get the banana notes?

The instructions for Bavarian Weissbier say 68 to 76 degrees. That's one that I've been wanting to try but not gotten to yet, but from everything I've read the banana flavor comes with higher temperature, so fermenting it closer to the high end of the range seems smart. Depending on where you are, that may mean that January and February are not great times to make that one--I doubt that there's anywhere in my house that's up to 68 right now. 

I live in St. Louis and it's currently 9 degrees outside, but my basement is a steady 60 degrees.  I put the LBK in a cooler and keep it off the ground.  I have no problem maintaining 66+ and, if it does start to dip, a soda bottle filled with hot water works great.  Hope this helps.