Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
BrewDawg72

Are we there yet?

I am sure this question has been asked many times, but I can't find the answer readily so decided to post.

Today is day 14 in the LBK.  I am planning to bottle this weekend, which will make 18 days for fermentation.  Beer looks good. Trub in bottom of LBK and the liquid is able to pass light through it and appears "clear".  However, I still have very small groups of bubbles on top of the wort and maybe even yeasties still working.  Is it ok to go ahead and bottle? Or should EVERYTHING have stopped before proceeding?  I would assume taste test would let me know if it's ready also.  Most likely a hydrometer would be the best thing to have, but I have not invested in one (yet).

Any thoughts?

Thanks guys!

No problem with posting.  The search function isn't great.  A better method is site:community.mrbeer.com/community/discussion-forums then a space, then your search term(s).

Using your eyes isn't how you determine if the beer is ready to bottle.  Either taste it or use a hydrometer.  If you don't have a hydrometer, and don't want to wait 21 days, then taste it.  If it's sweet, it's not done.  If it tastes like flat beer, maybe a bit cidery, it's ready.

You don't want to bottle if it isn't done, or you will have bottle bombs for sure.  That being said, I've never had a batch that isn't done in 14 days.  My last one had bubbles on the top after 2 weeks, which isn't usually the case, but the hydro reading showed that fermentation was complete.

Thanks OU!  After reading many posts looks like I will be investing in a hydrometer in the near future (not that one is required).  Should help determine when fermentation is done, as well as calculate ABV.  I had pretty much figured I was ok to bottle this weekend, but wanted to check with the vets just in case.  I appreciate the input!!

Well, it's officially in the bottles. Looked great to me and tasted exactly like flat light beer. Light green apple taste dissipated somewhere between day 14 and 18. Now to let it carb. Being a proud papa, I took pics. Please feel free to comment.

I'm a brewer!!! LOL.63696cfb-9e87-4031-b00c-4558773165fa.jpg

On a side note, I found it odd that non-carbed beer had so many bubbles.

Thoughts?

BrewDawg, good luck with the brewski!

I recently purchased a hydrometer & tube for about $5 at my local brew store and it helps to take the guess work out of the equation. IMHO, it's not a big deal with some of the general refills (taste flat beer & you're a go) but the small investment might save some wallet-ache on some of the pricier recipes. It also helps with an accurate ABV if you are interested in the process.

Cheers!

Thanks ANR. Ordered up a hydrometer and the utensil set last night.

Will definitely take the guess work out of it. Also started up a batch of Oktoberfest. Looking forward to trying it and the CAL once it carbs. :-)

Thanks ts! I was pleasantly surprised how well it has turned out so far. Like all noob brewers, I have a tendency to mother the heck out of it. Even the beer was complaining. LOL. Eventually, I may grow out of it. :-) Who knows.