Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
BeerofHrod

It was poison since day one

2163c3cb-53c4-4174-9a87-115e32ecf21b.jpg

I'm sharing this so someone wiser than me learns from this mistake down the road. 

8689d4ee-7d48-4b01-be59-91d4d9826892.jpg

I've brewed 3 batches of beer since dec 2nd. I picked up most of the canned hme from a person off craigslist for a steal. I've worked in the food industry for years and I know using swollen or dented cans is dangerous. The seven cans I bought were all swollen but not dented. They were also between 6-7 years old. I don't know why I went ahead and used them, stupidity? 

39037d49-4704-46e5-9889-78dd70c1760e.jpg

the rest of my swollen hme I threw away last night. They make a loud HISS when you puncture them. 

e7cac5a0-d703-48b8-b9a8-ea81eff6e1db.jpg

The cans don't sit flush with the counter. They wobble around really bad.

I'm not going to explain why not to use dented or swollen cans, google it, food-borne botulism. The side-effects are not pleasant; violent diarrhea, chest congestion, a headache similar to a hangover and that's only after taking a few sips. 

I dumped six gallons and am back at day one. Tomorrow I'm going to my lhbs and picking up fresh ingredients to make a nut brown ale. 

Not using swollen cans is pretty basic, and the one who sold them to you was plain wrong. The only responsible thing he could have done was dispose of them in the garbage. No kidding, people sometimes die from botulism, and taking a chance of killing someone in exchange for a few bucks is beyond irresponsible. Your post is a worthwhile warning.

I don't recall that in any of your posts you ever mentioned swollen cans.  Really risky behavior.  You need to ensure that every single piece of equipment that touched that beer is properly sanitized, and you may want to do some research, via Google, on sanitizing with bleach.  Remember also to disassemble the spigots and sanitize all parts (how to is in many posts).  

Wow.  

seriously, you sound like a troll more than a disgruntled mr beer user. as mentioned before most of us got our start from mr beer and owe them a nod of gratitude. true - their spigots suck. true- the yeast under the lid isn't the best. true - their instructions are misleading... but also true - they give you free access to their forum where you can LEARN to make great beer.. even with their kits, as limited as they are.

so, if you are not in fact a troll kindly move to another forum or cool it ok? we get it. you hate mr beer and your curse them all to suffering pox and boils and other assorted horribleness blah blah blah.

+100 Zorak.  We really dont need someone creating a rift between the groups since many of us are members and active on both.