Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
tayclem

Storing LME

I've been looking at different LME/DME brewing kits at my LHBS. 

Problem: every one makes 5 gal. batches, and I only have one LBK so far.

Is there any way i can store LME so it won't go bad or lose flavor? (max storage 2-3 weeks; enough time to free up my fermenter) Ziploc bags or tupperware in the fridge? Or maybe my pantry (it's dark and kind of cool in there)

Using the search function, or if it's not working using site:community.mrbeer.com/community/discussion-forums storing lme yields many results as this is often asked and answered.  There's also tremendous discussion about splitting 5 gallon batches.  

You need to distinguish between LME and DME.  You wouldn't want to pour LME into a plastic bag.

DME stores fine in a bag for a long time, kept away from moisture.  LME stores best refrigerated, and some put a layer of vodka on the top with plastic wrap on the can.  I buy LME in bulk in  my container and refrigerate it for as long as 6 weeks with no issues and no vodka.  Over time, LME may turn darker.

I put my LME in the freezer.  I either keep it in the half gallon jug or I divide it up into plastic frozen juice containers, which hold 1.2 lb each (5 containers per half gallon jug).  Then I can grab one Pilsen LME, one Amber or whatever I need.  It doesn't really expand as it freezes, so it works fine.  Sometimes I leave it in the freezer for a year and I haven't noticed any difference in the beer I make with it than with fresh stuff I just bought, although I may not have as refined of a palate as other when it comes to beer.

Thanks for the tips guys!

I had browsed through here for hours looking for an LME storage topic. But I only found DME solutions.

what kind of expiration time is there when it comes to unopened LME/DME? Do they stay good as long as the basic HME cans? or, is still best to use them sooner rather than later?

I would think that the HME would store longer than regular LME just because of the hops that are in it and I thought hops act as a preserving agent. Unless Im wrong

You can also put a small layer of vodka on top and put it in the fridge depending on when you plan on using it.  Is the LME in a can or is it generic that they fill on the spot?  If it is a store kit and they are using bulk extract ask them if they will put together half a kit.  Many stores will.