Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
frickstir

Fermentation Temps.

Okay so i'm reading some old posts regarding temperature ranges when making your beer. the Mr Beer instructions say between 68 to 76. well dumb and dumber here thought that was in regards to the outside temp(room) not in the keg. my basement is a consistent 66 to 70 and have two LBK going everything looks ok its been 3 weeks tomorrow for the first batch and 2 weeks for my second. there's about a 1/8 to 1/4 inch of trub on the bottom of both kegs so it seems like the process is going on should i have any  concerns? and another question i have is how can you tell if your brew gets contaminated.

You should have no concerns.

You should not worry about contamination.  If you follow the instructions and properly clean and sanitize, you shouldn't have any issues.  Even if you do, it will just taste off - it doesn't make you ill.  

RDWHAHB.

Sounds like you are making beer. Your temps should be fine. I certainly wouldn't concern myself about it. And as RickBeer said, as long as you kept things clean and sanitized you should have no problem with infection.

I wish the temperature in my basement, in fact in any part of my house, was that consistent.

I have a closet in my office that i sit everything on temp stays a constant 68 degrees. I was worried about the closet getting to cold. Everything turned out good.

Your basement is a great temperature for fermentation, just give the brews the full three weeks. The mid-winter temperature of my basement is 62-66, and my beers have been nice and "clean' tasting, no off flavors. Sounds as if you are on the way to some good beers.

wow do you live in the upper midwest? i live in ohio and this has been one of the  crappier  winters we've had in a long time both with snow and temps. but my basement (man cave) are always nice. anyway i appreciate all the advice i've been given.

stay warm my friend

I keep Mr Beer on a low kitchen shelf out of sunlight .  I put one of those stick on thermometers on the fermenter. For the first 7 days I have had a very   constant temp of about 72 at night and 77 during the day.

I hope these temps are OK.

I guess I was planning on keeping it in the fermenter for about another week and a half before bottling?

Trev, if you can, it would be good to find a spot in an interior closet with a consistent temperature, or put the keg in a cooler or bin that can help to keep a consistent temperature.  Having steady temperatures can actually be more important than what the temperature is, as long as the temperature is within the yeast's preferred range.  If needed, you can put flozen water bottles in the cooler or bin to help keep cool temperatures.  I keep my kegs in a bin on the floor under a desk in my work room, to be somewhat surrounded by other thermal mass, which gives me steady temperatures between day and night, without needing the water bottles.