Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
mandrew347

Over carbonated??

Just tried my first batch and the beer seems way over carbonated and has a seltzer/champagne taste. I used the carbonation drops and didnt use any more then directed. Does anybody have any thoughts on what may have caused this? 

Some folks say that using the priming sugar amounts from Mr.Beer result in over carbonation. you can use a priming calculator like the one found here. http://www.thescrewybrewer.com/p/brewing-tools-formulas.html#bpc The cider taste may mean that you need to let your beer age a little longer at room temp.(68-72F) most suggest 4 week's after bottling before you stick any in the fridge. I just tried on of my Honey wheat beer's after 2 weeks in the bottle and it was very cider like.. 

My first Mr Beer batch was like that. Way over carbonated. Let it condition longer for the flavor but just remember to use less sugar next time.

I primed my 740 mL bottles of Nut Brown Ale with just 1 teaspoon of sugar and they are perfectly carbonated. Some styles of beer require a bit more or less. The two carbonation drops recommended by MB, in my opinion add too much carbonation for that size bottle. As for the champagne flavor, hopefully it will condition out with time (another 4-6 weeks conditioning at room temperature). Good luck - BTW, if you used the MB "Booster" next time substitute DME or LME. and you'll see a definite improvement in your beer.