Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
raiderrob67

Every last drop from a softpack?

Any one have any good trick's or tip's on how to get all the malty goodness out of an LME softpack? I know I can rinse it with hot water, but it is kind of tricky to get it open enough to put the water in and hold onto it at the same time. I was thinking of standing it up in a mason jar and sticking a funnel in it. I will let ya know how it works.

I've used the handles of two wooden spoons clamped together and run the softpack between them.  Heat the softpack first in hot water to get the LME runny.

This is what I do, and I believe I get every drop out.  Firstly, I have a stainless steel turkey baster, a spatula, and a pyrex measuring cup.  That's just what I have, not saying you need SS or pyrex, but I'd recommend it to avoid any chance of an infection.

Instead of heating 4 cups of water, I heat 5 to boiling.  I then use the turkey baster to remove a cup of water into the measuring cup.  I then pour the LME into my pot, and then pour the cup of reserved water into the LME packet.  I use the spatula to help open the pack if it's stuck closed, and more importantly to gently swirl the water around a little in the pack.  Then I pour the contents into my pot and the pack is completely malt free.  Note that the pack is hot from the boiling water, so use caution.

Hope this helps.

I have also used the spatula method and it worked pretty good. I've also just run hot tap water, at low pressure,  allowing the water to work its way into the pack. Both methods seem to work to the same result but might leave you with sticky fingers...