Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
BeerofHrod

Serf's Up Dampfbier

I put this one together this morning.  Og was 1041 just a hair under the recipe. What I did different and I know I'm going to catch flak for it but I boiled almost my total volume of water. I topped off with less than a quarter gallon of cool water. aerated with a stone and pump for about half and hour and pitched wb-06 straight from the pack.

I used Reverse Osmosis water I get from the local water stores for this recipe. I've read that can damage the yeast cells but this is kind of an experiment. The water tastes great so i figured to brew with it.

Boiling almost your full volume of water should not be a problem as long as you cool it sufficiently before putting it in the LBK and you did it fast enough to lessen possible contamination.

on the issue of the RO water it is my understanding that there are not enough minerals and salts in it for brewing. I just watched a video the other night where the brewer was saying they used RO water and then add brewing salts so they could match water chemistry from other parts of the world. went to my local health food store yesterday and filled my 3 gallon jug with there water. after half the bottle was filled I noticed that the sign said RO water. went to my LBHS and asked about using RO water and they said it is basically like scorched earth or distilled water and I would have to add salts to it. oh well, I can use it for my CPAP machine.

I bottled this on 3/11/14. It tasted pretty good for being 2.5 weeks in primary and 2.5 weeks secondary. It's still a little green but not enought to discourage a small glass as i bottled. I bottled it with corn sugar, a little low in volumes of co2, 2.0 i believe.