Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
mregione

Water-Tap or bottled

So I have been thinking about getting a second lbk so I can either brew two at once or split 5 gallon recipes.  I thought it might be worth a try to brew two of the same kits, one with bottled water, one with tap water (filtered through a brita filter) and see if there is any taste difference.  It would be nice to be able to use my tap water, but I am a bit leary of just jumping to tap water without some sort of test.

There will probably few differences between filtered tap water and bottled spring water. as for using your tap water with out filtration, they say it is fine if the water is drinkable you can make beer with it. I would leave it in an open 5 gallon bucket over night to let the chlorine evaporate out. I use bottled spring water my self, it is only $1.00 per gallon and right now I am only doing 2 gallon batches so no big deal. when I get ready to switch to larger batches I may look into getting an in line filter for the tap.

ive only used bottled mineral water myself.. cheap stuff like Zephyrhills.  our tap water here is garbage, and leaving it out over night only makes mold grow in it.  it really is disgusting. I swapped out a shower head filter the other day that looked like an alien life form had grown inside it. did I mention our water is disgusting?

I use tap for the boil and spring water for the rest.  However many folks just use their tap water and

are producing great beer.  So I’d say if your tap water is good, use it. 

But if you notice a hint of chlorine in your tap (I do occasionally), do as Raider said and leave out for a few hours before using it.

Seems like a reasonable experiment, if you keep all the other factors the same. I've been switching between Deer Park bottled water and filtered (under the sink large charcoal and micropore cartridge filter). Empirical evidence only, as I have not done a side by side, but there is no difference in taste to me. However, I do think there is a difference in how active the initial fermentation is. The bottled water appears to give the yeast a faster start. Each brew is different, and perhaps my observations are just due to natural variation

As long as your tap water is potable and does not contain chlorine/chloraminine then you are ok.  Most tap/well water as well as some bottled water will have some mineral content which is actually beneficial for the yeast.  Once you progress in this obsession you may get to a level where you want to know more about your water chemistry to improve your brews or duplicate an ale from a different region.

I generally use filtered tap water when doing a full boil and bottled water for any top off or for MrB recipes that arent boiled.  I figure the two bucks is worth it for small batches.  You do not want to use distilled water however because it lacks the minerals and such the yeast need, although I have heard it is not as important using extract rather than grains.  I however have not taken the chance, and as they cost the same why not go with what is proven?

that will be a nice side by side. Keep notes.

If you're using MB, all the minerals are already there, so it really won't matter much if you use spring water or not.

just fyi, I use straight tap water. In the belief that if it makes good coffee then it'll make good beer, so far it has panned out.

I always use spring water. No chlorine or unknown chems from my tap and I know it's healthy for my yeast/wort.  Seems like a worthwhile investment for a 2 gal batch.

-- Didn't mean to respond to Jim, but to the OP. 

I have been using my tap water with no issues. I do have a filter on the the water line.