Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
floopthebeer

Can I just double a 1 gallon Recipe?

So I brewed my first beer and it should be ready to drink today! I'm going to brew an Irish Stout this weekend so It'll be ready by Saint Patricks Day. After that I wanted to move onto a more complicated recipe. I was looking at Northern Brewer's 1 gallon Small Batch kits. Can I just buy 2 Kits and double the recipe so that I can use the LBK? Is it really that easy?

Has anybody done this before? anybody have  any tips?

That should be fine, I have not used northern brewer but I do not see any complications with doing that

While you can, you may find it costly.  If you have a LHBS, you can buy the ingredients yourself and do a 2.5 gallon batch.

• Like 1

Yes, that must be a typo. it looks like it only makes 1 gallon. like Rick said it may be cheaper to go to your LHBS and get what you need. kit X2 = $25.00 + shipping=?. you can get what you need at LHBS for $15.00-$20.00 or less if you do an all grain or BIAB.

I agree with Rick that would be cost prohibitive.  Have you downloaded QBrew yet?   That will be a great help to you.  You will be able to design your own beers.  QBrew has a MR B data base.  You'll be surprised at what you can brew with the same extract and hops just by using different yeasts

My 5 gallon extract and steep recipes, assembled by me at my LHBS, run from low $20s to low $30s including $4.00 for yeast.  I split between two LBKs.

True, it would work, and true, it would be a wee bit expensive.

However, if money is not something you need worry about, sure give it a go.

But, there are better ways to do it.

The only limitation that the LBK has is: It only does 2.5 gallons at a time. If this meets your needs, then, by definition, it's not a limitation.

So, I would suggest that you do a lot of reading, ask a lot of questions to see if that's going to take you where you want to go.

+1 to what's been said. it will be easier to read http://howtobrew.com/ not bothering with the ag stuff for now and just build your own recipe. also get qbrew it not only allow you to build your own recipes.  it will help you learn to add to a mrb hme with, dme/lme, and hop boils and see what your actually doing to the brew