Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
kdjc

capping bottles

I have my Apple Brown Berry in the LBK. I ordered a case of amber bottles,caps and capper from MR.Beer. My questions will these caps work on other bottles that were twist off. I have about 1 case of those saved for later batches. 

If I understand what you have correctly:

If you bought glass bottles, tin caps and the capper they probably wont work with screw top bottles. I could be wrong but if you are talking about plastic bottles that came in the kit, I think the bottler/caps would probably break the bottles and that's assuming they would fit.

You do not want to use  glass bottles with the twist off. They will break. You need to use the plastic P.E.T. bottles or glass with the pry offs.

Using the capper on standard twist-off glass beer bottles is a bad idea. The caps do not secure properly to the threads and you run the risk of chipping threads or breaking the bottle. While I have heard of a very few people using twist-off bottles I just don't think it is worth the risk. Also, I have never used a wing type capper. I don't know if they will even work on that type of bottle.

Capping twist off bottles is only inviting bad things, the glass in these bottles is thinner in the neck and if they do seal without breaking the glass you have a good chance of bottle bombs!

I have a wing capper. I've used the wing capper. I now have a Bench capper. I like that better.

But to your question: Can you use the wing capper and the caps on screw top bottles.

It would be a waist of time and effort. Toss the screw tops. The only screw tops you should use is PET bottles. All others are just a problem in waiting. Odds are, you will break several in your effort to cap. You will NOT be guaranteed a proper seal.