Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
BeerofHrod

Maple Choco Taco

I put this together on sunday with odds and ends.

Collected 2 gallons of RO water to boil

Dry malt extract boiled for 25 minutes

8 oz dark dme 

16 oz light dme

14 oz amber dme

steeping grains heated to 160f and steeped for 20 mins pre-boil

2 oz roasted barley

2 oz pale chocolate

4 oz crystal 40

10 g kent G 25 mins

14 g kent G 15

10 g william 15 

6 g will           0 min

Coopers ale yeast rehydrated

maple extract or maple flavoring at bottling approx two weeks from now

Yeah using RO water bugs me since I don't use lme which would put back some essential minerals back in my brew. I think I'll give Camden tablets a shot since they are so cheap.

I tried Sam Adams Maple pecan porter and am hoping for this brew to be in proximity to it. I could have chose a more appropriate strain of yeast though. The lbk is fermenting towards the higher end of the heat range. I expect fruity, woody esters followed up by Maple syrup.   

I bottled this on 3/10/14, its been on in the primary for a month and a day. I kind of let the temperature go all over the place with this one. I wanted to see whats the worse than can happen. It definetly smelled fruity, like old banana peels and papaya guts. I used the mr beer yeast. It had a nice malty backend after the fruit stink. i'll see what it tasted like in a month. I bottled with maple syrup.

I used a priming sugar calculator from northern brewer. I set the style as a porter-2.1 volumes of co2. That level would require 1.50 oz of maple syrup sanitized in boiling water then mixed in my bottling bucket. 1.5 oz came out to 9 teaspoons. 

i don't think the maple syrup will impart a maply taste, it'll probably leave the more earthy flavors behind. I think the yeast funk will mask any flavoring the syrup would have given it. time will tell

bec193f9-0dbd-4724-a3a9-69505075e488.jpgI've given this beer plenty of time to try and come together but it's not happening. since 3/10/14 i've tried a bottle every week or so and the yeast funk isn't subsiding. It starts with a nice roasty beginning followed by a twang of yeast funk (tastes like high krausen smells) that crashes with a earthy chocolate finish. The hops impart a earthy, floweryness to it but this funk covers a lot of that up. The head retention isn't so great either. 

This was one of the first brews I made that I could stomach. I just wanted to see what would happen if I fermented very warm 74-80 with mr beer yeast. ironically my coworkers really like this beer, which is great because I don't want to drink the case i have left. 

This doesn't discourage me though, I have already brewed and drank serf's up dampfbier, orfys mild mannered ale, caribou slobber and this morning I'm tapping a milk stout and liberty cream ale both from mws.