Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
rrgarvey

3rd Batch Weird Smell

Well the first couple days of fermentation was great and it smelled nice and hoppy just like the other batches but today i went to check on temp and i noticed a weird soury almost cidery smell, not quite vinegar. I cant smell the hops at all anymore which is weird cus I could with the other 2 batches.

This recipe was 1 can of Patriot,  8 oz of Light DME, 1 cup honey and half oz cascade hops. Now i did use a stainless steel spoon in the hopsack to keep it from floating, would this be the difference?

Also i had an ADHD moment and used 2 packets of yeast (i mixed up the recipes i was doing lol)

would the exra yeast or spoon cause this?

also fermentation was gettin into mid 80's first day or so so i brought it to basement and the temp inside LBK is around 67 F

the extra DME and HONEY has added more fermentables. The cider-ish smell may be from the high sugar content from the honey. You'll need to let it age a little longer as well so that the yeast can help resolve that issue.

Additionally, that High Temp you hit isn't helping as well. That will also cause you to need to allow it to sit in the bottle a wee bit longer to age out. Other than that, it should be fine.

update: my wife thought it smelled yeasty and metallic.

but we both agree it is definitely not a vinegar smell which i've read can be a bacteria infection ect

ok, that's 2 problems...

Yeasty: the beer is still young. time will mellow that out.

Metallic: did you use unprotected metal to do your wert? Did you use a spoon? what condition is your boiling pot in?

Was the Malt stored correctly?

well i used a stainless steel spoon in hopsac so it wouldnt float in LBK. Im pretty confident it was stainless steel. Would it be worth trying to fish out?

what would be worst case scenario if it was an unprotected metal? will the batchn just taste off or can it make me sick or something?

Too late now.  It's in there, and you can smell it.  I suspect that the metal smell IS the spoon.  I suspect you'll find a metallic taste in the beer, hope I'm wrong.

but other than off taste it'd be safe too drink? my biggest fear is drinking something that will give me foo poisoning of some sort. Altho I didn't really detect a metal smell, I just took a wiff today and still don't really smell metal, it just reminds me of a cider smell

in my opinion, if it does not smell like poop it wont make you ill. if you drink beer with lots of yeast in it still like a good hefeweisen and your stomach is not used to yeasties youll get the runs and lots of gas cramps... but it wont kill you.

ive had beer with lactobacter infection... drank it anyway. in the fermenter I had HUGE grey filmy almost milk bubbles. tasted like sour beer and I had to augment it with orange powder but I still drank it... still alive.

if it stinks like strong vinegar it might be an acetobacter infection. basically all the lovely alcohol that the yeast make, the acetobacteria eat, and they pee out acetic acid (vinegar). in some cases the strength of the acid can be strong enough to burn your mouth.

if you ever smell the beer and it stinks like feces you may have got an ecoli infection..which is really not common unless you completely threw out all sanitation practices and maybe used a dirty toilet brush as a spoon.  in this case I would dump the whole batch and the fermenter.

theres a regular member from the 'old guard' who somehow got a brett-c colony in his air conditioning ducts. every now and then it gets into his beer and makes them into sour beers. (lambics?)

cider smells are also known as 'green beer' smells. green meaning under-ripe or too young... you get this typically when the beer had sugar added to it like honey or um.. sugar and the beer is not aged/conditioned. if you have this, when you get it primed and bottled you will want to go at least 4 weeks at room temperature before you try one. drinking 'green' beer wont hurt you but why rush it? it will be so much better fully conditioned.

well that is a relief. Im fine with letting it condition out. I was just worried about the metal sppon somehow tainting it or whatever. And this is a higher malt to hop ratio tha n the other brews I had. The first one was Horses ass ale with 1.5 oz instead of .5 oz of cascade. The other batch had 2 oz of hops boiled in it, and this one is only half oz. So that could explain lack of hop smell im used to.

Well it doesn't smell weird anymore and fermentation seems to have come along quite well. Still needs a lil time before I bottle.

I think the cidery smell I was sniffing must have been from the honey or other fermentables or something Bc I got the same smell a few days into fermentation of the Mr. Beer's White IPA with added honey and hops, and I did not use a spoon to hold em down, just threw them in commando when making the wort.

I'll keep updating on how it turns out.

UPDATE:

Well I bottled the batch today, gave it a taste test and it tasted like beer with a bit of a cidery taste as well, tasted similar to the Horses Ass Ale recipe I made a few agos before bottling it.

Im hoping this is just the signs of a young beer and the cidery taste will condition out.

Also the spoon I used was not discolored in any way which might indicate that it was not stainless steel.

I think I just got paranoid and this is a case of young beer. I also think the cup of honey added to the recipe might add to the cidery smell/taste

any thoughts would be appreciated