Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
BrianBrew

Bottle Question

I have a few bottles that are not cracked, but have some lines in them I assume from poor quality quality control in the making process. I noticed the imperfections after I cleaned them and removed the labels. I was wondering if they are okay or should I just abandon them? I was also wondering if hard cider bottles are okay to use. I would think so, but I though I would look to the expertise of you guys who have been much help answering all of my questions. Sam Adams bottles are my favorite. The beer is good and the labels are easy to remove. The only thing I don't like about is that the say Sam Adams on them.

I have not personally noticed this yet but I think common sense and caution would be the rule of thumb  for bottles with lines/imperfections/cracks. Who wants to lose beer and make a mess while doing it?

Sam Adams free bottles are the way to go. I like the beer and love the free bottles.

I have no experience with hard cider bottles. Someone else can answer that one better than me.

if there is a question in your mind if a bottle "might" be ok, it's best to toss it. apply the KISS principle.

As far as Hard Cider Bottles... um, never bought, or used one. For a long time, a friend gave me empty 8oz coke bottles and they worked great. Cider isn't light sensitive.(no hops). Went back and read your post again. You wanted to use the cider bottles for beer. May I suggest you stick with the Sam Addams?

lagunitas and sierra Nevada usually have good bottles.

ive seen many bottles with the lines youre talking about. it looks like seams.. almost like the bottles were poured in a mold than the halves fused together. I also see bottles with divots and bubbles in them. I would discard any that look defective in any way. use a strong light to help you sort the bottles out. discard any that look weak in any way,

Thanks. I will get rid of the funky looking bottles. The hard cider bottles are from Woodchuck hard pumpkin cider. They are brown in color and look just like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale bottles.

As long as they are pop tops and not screw-offs, the Woodchuck bottles would be fine...

If you are talking about the one or two straight vertical lines running from top to bottom, this is normal and is just due to the manufacturing/molding process.  I actually use the lines as a guide when putting labels on the bottles, it helps me put them on straight.  I’ve seen on both beer and wine bottles.

If there are lines all over, going in every direction, I’d toss as advised above.

No, they are not the normal lines. They are funky lines on the surface of the bottles. I will just pitch them or try to return them w/o the labels. Better safe than sorry. Thanks!

30e1bcfa-2820-4181-80ae-59a5f433cd11.JPG991e3f1b-7d30-40bc-94f2-bdd296125fcb.JPG

Brian,

Are you using the dishwasher to wash bottles? I came across two tonight (unfortunately after bottling & capping them) and I had even run them on the gentle/china cycle. My bottles have the same type of cracks that you describe in your post

Are those cracks? Or are they marks from flaws in the mold?