Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
joecolley

2X IPA idea

I have a can of Diablo and I was thinking two packets of pale LME and Safale US 05 yeast. Plan on boiling about an oz of cascade hops for half an hour in half a package of the LME and doing a dry hop.

How does that sound, should I boil longer, or use more LME?

I just did an Imperial, used 1 can Diablo, 1 can CAL, 1 oz each Cascade, Columbus and Liberty. QBrew has it at 8.6% ABV and 86 IBU. Bottled Tuesday night, the hydrometer sample tasted VERY good! I used both dry  yeasts that came with the HME's and 1) WLP001 liquid yeast from the LHBS.

I made a Merica IPA!! a while ago, a Northwest Pale Ale, American Ale, Smooth DME, a 10 minute hop boil with Glacier and then dry hopped with Falconer's Flight. It came out very well, had an OG of about 1.091 and about 9.2% ABV and 90 IBU's, made me feel like a true American!! haha

merica-29.jpg%3Fw%3D500%26h%3D666

assuming you want a bitter boil it'll be long enough.  if you boil it 30 min you should get something like 54 ibus at 60 min you'll get like 70 ibus.  this is figured boiling both lmes  in your water.  also assuming they are MrB lmes.I have no idea what's gonna happen once the hme is added and beersmith don't have any hmes listed that I noticed.

Dawg LB O.I.C., I have a couple questions....first did you boil the 3 hops?  If so, how long?  and how did you come up with the ABV and IBU?  When I put this recipe in QBrew (unless I did something wrong), I get 5% ABV and 120 IBU (with a 30 min boil of all 3 hops).  Did you add something else, (LME, DME, etc. ) that you didn't include in your post?

This recipe sounds really good and I want to give it a shot.

Thanks

I used QBrew the hops were the last 5 minutes of boiling the water then added the HME's. I split the hope into two sacks put the hopsacks into the LBK's. I did split between 2 fermenters, very active I think it would have blown the top off if it was all in one. Check to make sure the batch size is set for 2.13 gallon. OG and FG were right there at brew and bottle time. I think it actually came out at 8.5%. This one has by far been the best tasting one at bottling time.

Dawg.......weird.... when I put it in QBrew, with everthing the same as you, I get something totally different...still getting 5.0% ABV....with a 5 min hop boil I get 40 IBU.  But it doesn't matter, as long as the taste is good.

Diablo weight 2.86 craft refills are bigger, 1.87 lbs CAL, also with hops you add the Diablo@5 mins 1oz and CAL @5 mins 1oz and pellet. 1.089 OG and 1.022 FG.

Well got it brewed up last night and man that hop aroma is great. Still lingering in the house or maybe it is coming from me I had a few IPAs while brewing it.... and after.....