Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
nicholascott

Why you like making homebrew instead of buying

I know why I like making my beer at home. However, I'm interested in knowing why everyone else likes brewing at home. Instead of taking the easy way out and buying from a store. To get the ball rolling let me tell you my reasons.
1. I like picking my own brews and experimenting with different techniques.

2. It just tastes better
(if done right)

3. The personal satisfaction of knowing that I actually made my own beer!

Let us all know your reasons! [img size=202]http://community.mrbeer.com/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Johny_Bravo.jpg

I like making my because like you it tastes so much better. just opened my first bottle I made 2 months ago. mountain rasberry...oh it was so smooth, I never knew I could make such good beer !!:cheer: Silas

I like to make my own beer instead of buying it because:

A) I like making things.

B) My import habit was getting expensive!

C) My friends think it's really cool that I make beer ...and it's that good!

it is alot cheaper than buying even crappy beer..what do we pay around 30 cents a bottle--I just sterilize old Sam Adams or Corona bottles and it works out great..I am still trying to duplicate their Cherry Wheat recipe and no luck yet.:dry:

The reason I like home brewing is because you get to try new and off the wall things and perhaps stumble upon something great. Its also a neat process and well just beer in general is awesome. I make 3 cases at a shot of 3 different things i love being able to go down to my basement(my brewery lol) and just work and after everything is over enjoy a beer i made the way i like it

Guest System Admin

1. Where I live it cost $12.00 to $15.00 a six pack for good beer,
I can make it for a lot less.

2. My friends love it.

3. My wife loves the smell when i make the wort.

4. The satisfaction of a good cold homemade beer.

When i first got a kit, i wanted to be able to make lots of beer for cheap. then once my first batch came out, and it was DELICIOUS, i wanted to start trying all the differant flavors.

the main reason i brew now is, because like many others have said, the feeling of self-worth when you open up that bottle, take the first sip, and realize what a wonder you've just created yourself.

I agree with everyone here. It is cool to be able to drink you own creations and share with friends. I don't buy beer from state stores anymore since I started brewing years ago.

Jim

We haven't started our first homebrew yet, but I've been wanting to get started for a couple of years now.

I love to can and preserve, it's a fun hobby for me, and I think that homebrewing will be a fun hobby for hubby and me together. And if he doesn't enjoy the brewing part, I'm sure he will be up for the drinking part!

What's not to love? After the first batch turned out so well, I try not to buy any off-the-shelf stuff anymore. Besides, like most everyone else here, it's fun, the wife knows it keeps me out of trouble, tastes great, less filling, etc :woohoo: . These kits are a great way to start out, and I'm thinking it's about time to scale up production to full 5-gallon batches :blink: .

Guest System Admin

I look at brewing like cooking. Once you know the basics you get to experiment a little; add a little of this, take away a little of that, make it your own. And the satisfaction of the end product is all worth it for me :)

Hmmm... why do I like Homebrewing!

1. I like the challenge of making new brews

2. I love the pride it gives you when you share YOUR brew with the Guys.

3. It's something my father-in-law have in common

4. It beats the heck out of Store-bought stuff

5. What else would I do with my time :P

Home brewing is so much more fun. It's also less expensive, and usually tastes better. Going back to cheap filtered beer is next to impossible.

I have not had a BUD or MILLER product since I started brewing my own. I have not brewed a beer that tasted bad enough to send me back...lol. The only beers that I buy have pry off caps, so I can reuse the bottles. I used to drink Miller Lite before my hobby, now I don't even look at it when I pass through the beer isle.

It just started out as a Father's day gift from the wife. Then, after drinking the "good stuff" I just couldn't bring myself to go back to buying the Mass produced weak water beer. I spent to many years in Europe and aquired a taste for Good Beer, which was real short in supply here at a cost I could feel comfortable with. Now I get to make my brew, which is cost effective, and tastes great, and the wife gets her kitchen cleaned up. The last time I bough beer was just for the bottles... sad, eh? Sometimes it is a real toss up... would I rather drink the beer or enjoy making it... I'll ponder that over the witty monk I'm enjoying at the moment... Beer. gotta love it. :woohoo:

Has anyone not enjoyed brewing their own beer?I can't think of one.
one reason I like is the freedom we have to do so.Remember we didn't
always have such a right.

1. i made it
2. the varieties are nearly endless
3. not nearly as expensive as a case of Bell's ($36) and tastes better!

There's a fair amount of discussion in these old topics about recycling used bottles, but not the question I'm thinking of, which is: I have about a dozen empty Guinness bottles + 2 larger bottles from a Stone Smoked Stout, and a Dos Equis XX. The Q: is will the bail-type flip tops work on basically any glass bottle, or do I need to find a certain kind of bottle?

I'm not limited on what is distributed to my region. Also I won't pay more for a style that is usually only available in California or where ever.

Kevin wrote:

1. i made it
2. the varieties are nearly endless
3. not nearly as expensive as a case of Bell's ($36) and tastes better!

Kevin, I love your profile pic! What's the mug say? #include ? I can't quite make out the end of it...

By the way, I love brewing because I love beer and was sick of Bud, Coors, Miller, etc., they all taste the same. Plus I love bigger darker beers that, like many have said, are much more expensive per 6-pack (and usually only available in that quantity). About the only commercial beer I'll buy anymore is Abita beer. Visit their website at www.abita.com and you'll see why... Purest, freshest ingredients, natural carbonation, local... the list goes on and on...

I love homebrewing because I can make something of wonderful quality, and not have to subject myself to the products the stores try to pass off as beer.

It's more cost-effective for me to make my own. And I take particular pride in something that I create myself.

i got started on brewing because i was tires of getting fat drinking an 18 pack of miller lites on the weekend...and probably still going back to the store for more by sunday....so i brewed my own....fell in love with darker...more stout beers and the pursuit of the perfect hop combination...miller lite is now an ancient memory and whenever i don't have a brew ready for the fridge....sierra nevada stout...so....u do the math and you see that at $32 a case...my cloned version costs me $20....plus i love the freedom of brewing...one of the most overlooked...bloodiest...most fought after freedom i think we have...

and hell...beer making makes me cooler than all of my friends...

I quit drinking beer long ago because I dislike commercial beers. I don't like them. to me they taste sour where there should be a slightly bitter beer flavor.

I don't know if it has to do with the rice they put in it or what it is. I figure if they say they want to make a decent beer, then have to put rice into it to malt up the diluted mash, then they don't really want to make a decent beer. They just want to make money.

I found the stouts when I was stationed in Scotland. I spent a month in Ireland and found a good selection of good porters and stouts.

If I stick with the craft think I'm going to try my hand at some of the recipes in the Mr Beer website.

Guest System Admin

Im an older brewer (70). I can recall my grandfather who was from Germany,telling me of the great homebrew he made in the 20s when alcohol was outlawed in the US. So when I came across MRB it became an obsession almost from the first batch. I have not had a commercial beer in almost three years.I agree that our brew beats store bought hands down. Thanks for your attention.
TonyK

I like that you can emulate brews from all over the world right in your home. I like the feeling of satisfaction I get when I drink something that I created.

Sham Addams wrote:

Davjohn wrote:

The Q: is will the bail-type flip tops work on basically any glass bottle?

No

Well said my good man!

The bail-type bottles have holes for the bail wire to stick in too.

excuse me, as I must return to :stout:

:stout: yankeedag wrote:

Sham Addams wrote:

Davjohn wrote:

The Q: is will the bail-type flip tops work on basically any glass bottle?

No

Well said my good man!

The bail-type bottles have holes for the bail wire to stick in too.

excuse me, as I must return to :stout:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

And me to my Octoberfest. :stout:

That's good to know. One day I may need to invest in a capper. For now I'll hang on to the plastic ones.

Davjohn wrote:

That's good to know. One day I may need to invest in a capper. For now I'll hang on to the plastic ones.

Definetly invest in a capper. I have the one from Mr. Beer, works great! B)

I've been gimping with three foot surgeries in the last 13mo and I have a hobby I can do and tastes good too. I will buy a micro brew once in a while, especiallya brew pub with pizza. I can't remember the last time I had a Bud etc. :)

I do not or will not drink American "processed" undrinkable beer.I LOVE imported German, Belgian,Scottish,Irish beers and I love to cook and brewing beer just feels right.I always have beer here and I am now always brewing or conditioning beer and I love it ! I can now satisfy the inner "scientist" in me and tweak away with all of the recipes that MB has to offer .The skys the limit.

CHEERS !!!

The sensory satisfaction.

Making my homebrew, I love being able to stand over the pot and just smell the wort as it comes together. That's something you cannot really appreciate when you just buy the "beer" at the store.

I don't brew instead of buying. I brew in addition to buying. I love to tinker, to understand how things work, take them apart and put them back together, and beer is a great ongoing experiment to figure out how to make it better, different, more interesting, etc. And I love to drink it.

David

I fell in love with Pilothouse pilsner with additional Nelson Sauvin hops. Awesome taste!!! Have not brewed a bad one yet. All are good but some brews are just great. :chug:

Because: ;)
Because I can make a flavor I like
Because I can fine tune the alcohol level
Because I know what's in it
Because I do it myself
Because I controll the product
Because My idea of a good beer may not be the same as someone else.

That's me story, and I'm stickin' to it. (unless I change my mide, and if I do: Never Mind.)

Because I live in Utah and "beer" here is limited to 3.2% ABW (about 4% ABV) except in State run liquor stores, where a single bottle of Grolsch is $3.50. And the stores have fluorescent lights and there's no way to know ho long the beers have been sitting and getting skunked.

So to get decent beer, I have to brew my own.

Also, Woot was selling premium kits for $19.99 about the same time that Utah officially lifted the ban on home brewing (before that, it was legal to buy and sell all the equipment and supplies, but technically not legal to use them).

I brew beer for the show-off factor...same reason I cook/bake/do anything creative. Hence why I'm giving away 126 out of 132 beers I'm brewing at the moment.

I love to make beer because it's friggin delicious!
Blast off with High Alcohol - 6.5+
I like to make sneaky beers that look like a light beer. Very drinkable.
Then wham! It hits & the girls start taking their tops off!
Reminds me of when we'd make "Garbage Can Punch" with grain alcohol & lots of Hawaiian Punch. Now I do it with DME, UME, HME, Honey, Belgian Sugars, Booster, & hops.
:party:

because a six pack of hard cider cost me $9.50 - i wanted to try and make it myself and show those corporate guys! Now, I just enjoy drinking my "own stuff" (like the Tom Hanks movie when he gets stranded on that desert island) I HAVE MADE FIRE(beer)!

Cant drink the crap in the stores anymore. And craft beers are way to expensive.
And then there is the coolness factor. And my kids 20 and 21 think its cool that there old man can make beer. Plus brew day is a great way to get the wifey out of my hair for a little while. She dosent like the smell of wort LMAO.

I have only tasted my first brew, and now have 3 others in various stages of production - and the next three planned. Maybe it's too early for me to answer, but I am enjoying this obsession!

I enjoy it for the sense of accomplishment...
for the pursuit of flavor...
for the promise of new adventure...

but I never want to rise above the true enjoyment of an ice cold run-of-the-mill beer at a baseball game, or at somebody's barbecue. It's an important part of life!

harpdog wrote:

but I never want to rise above the true enjoyment of an ice cold run-of-the-mill beer at a baseball game, or at somebody's barbecue. It's an important part of life!

AMEN!

For all the reasons people stated before me and I love the sense of freedom it gives me.

I raise most of the food my family consumes. I can, freeze, butcher, etc our own food. If we don't raise it I barter for it, fish it, trap it or hunt it. Why not my own beer? LOL Besides the freedom of not being tied to a large corporation and being force fed that garbage Bud calls beer is worth it. It is the American thing to do. This country was founded by home brewers, why not carry on the tradition?

I always liked buying mixed cases of craft brew so I like different flavors of brew. With homebrewing I can have the flexibility of making different flavors. I hated buying a case of craft that I didn't like ( only happened twice ). I also like the satisfaction that I made a tasty brew. I'm trying to hit the mark of a brew I drank in Germany, EKU Rubin, the closest I've come is May The Schwartz Bier With You. Plus I like playing the "Mad Scientist" in the kitchen on brew day !

harpdog wrote:

+1

Because besides being able to say I make my own beer, I can tailor it to my own tastes, and it's a constant learning experience. I continue to experience the joy of discovery with every batch. I can also spend 60 cents on the beer I pay $1.50 or more for at the store.

i like because it is different: mouthfeel different tast etc. and i saw it on history channel, and i got intrested in making beer. just for the challenge of making my own really. :woohoo: :silly:

I like making my own beer because I like the taste, and making a recipe my own by tweaking it, experimenting, etc. These are the same reasons I like to cook, bake bread, make my own juices, etc.

after finding out just how good HB could be...and also very tired of paying 8-10 bucks for a bottle of my favorite beverage's...(chimay trappist,and other similars)

plus now I can experiment and learn what makes things taste good...

Why? Have you tasted my beer? LOL
Truthfully, because it is a freakin' awesome hobby. The homebrew is so fresh tasting, so delicious, so...excuse me....had to take a drink.
Where was I? Oh yeah, I have never had such a rewarding hobby. This has opened up my eyes (and mouth) to appreciating the many outstanding beers and beer styles out there that I never experienced before.

Awesome classic thread bump.
+1

stclairdp wrote:

harpdog wrote:

+1

+100! There is something about a shitty Old Style while sitting in the bleachers on a Sunny Saturday at Wrigley....

kedogn wrote:

stclairdp wrote:

harpdog wrote:

+1

+100! There is something about a shitty Old Style while sitting in the bleachers on a Sunny Saturday at Wrigley....

GO CUBBIES! Man, I was weened on Old Style, Strohs, and Old Milwaukee! Nothing finer than a cold one in the bleachers!

harpdog wrote:

kedogn wrote:

stclairdp wrote:

harpdog wrote:

+1

GO CUBBIES! Man, I was weened on Old Style, Strohs, and Old Milwaukee! Nothing finer than a cold one in the bleachers!

Here's to you :)

0501081221.jpg

@%$#$%%@ CUBS...... :laugh: just kidding

im an ANGELS fan myself. i like brewing because of the taste. its much better than the kind found at baseball stadiums, NASCAR tracks football stadiums and stores way better :laugh:

EDIT: March 31 is opening day for angels in Kansas City boooooooobooooo :woohoo: hehehehe

EDIT: oh yea, NASCAR starts this weekend in Daytona Beach FL man i wish i could be there :(

I wanted a new hobby, and needed to be challenged and feel passionate about something.

But someone else said it best, I don't like making homebrew instead of buying, I like making homebrew in addition to buying. I live 30 minutes from Stone, in San Diego. In addition to Stone, there's a dozen other micros all over, so there's no way I'm stop buying and drink homebrew exclusively.

Plus, without buying, how can you get an idea for the next batch?

StarRaptor wrote:

I just like making beer

+1 SR

I like making beer
I like drinking beer
I like seeing, smelling, tasting, beer
I like talking beer
I like buying beer
I like shopping for ingredients for beer
I don't so much like bottling beer
I like sharing beer
I like dreaming about beer
I like beer

(for brevity, "beer" is being used for great tasting, high quality beer)

Because a man should have a hobby and get a little "me time" in...this hobby just so happens to result in very good beer that is better than most store bought beer...

Sham Addams wrote:

Zobl wrote:

yankeedag wrote:

:borg: Beer?

:borg: Word.

borg.gif.droW

:borg: ?????

Zobl wrote:

Sham Addams wrote:

Zobl wrote:

yankeedag wrote:

:borg: Beer?

:borg: Word.

borg.gif.droW

:borg: ?????

:borg: Brewski

bigdave3124 wrote:

You can BUY beer?

(Stolen from somewhere, I think - and doesn't really apply to me - but I love it!)

...I've heard of a guy, who knows a guy, who turns out is related to a dude...
yeah, I buy beer. R & D purposes, of course! Ya see, there's some REALLY good beers out there. They shouldn't just sit on the shelf or at the pub!

Guest System Admin

good
fun
interesting as a project

silvertip8k wrote:

badges...we dont need any stinking badges.... :side:

Hey, stop using your beer goggles... he said :borg: BEER... not badges.

Hurst/Olds wrote:

Brewing your own means never running out of beer.

...it happens

There is something about a shitty Old Style while sitting in the bleachers on a Sunny Saturday at Wrigley....

Shitty Old Style?! That's an oxymoron! My first beer was an Old Style at the tender age of six. I still have to buy one every now and then; it's just too deeply ingrained. :gulp:

oly wrote:

There is something about a shitty Old Style while sitting in the bleachers on a Sunny Saturday at Wrigley....

Shitty Old Style?! That's an oxymoron! My first beer was an Old Style at the tender age of six. I still have to buy one every now and then; it's just too deeply ingrained. :gulp:

...pretty much explains your avitar then, eh Oly? (J/K)

I hadn't had an OldStyle in over a decade until I had one a few weeks ago. I was pleasantly surprised by it. I was shocked to see that BeerAdvocate generally agrees with me, with a 'B' rating from the 'Bros.'

yankeedag wrote:

oly wrote:

...pretty much explains your avitar then, eh Oly? (J/K)

:laugh: