Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
ba1980

Temp was high 1st day of fermentation

Back at the first of the year I decided to start brewing again (after about a year off). I made a batch of Pilothouse Pilsner and a batch of the seasonal white IPA.  Put both kegs into the ice chest.  Checked the temp before bed and apparently I wasn't thinking and only looked at what the temp of the chest was which I can't remember now but I think it was around 55 or 60.  iIt wasn't until the next day (maybe 1.5 days) that I remembered to look at the stick-on thermometers on the kegs and I was shocked at how high they were...around 80. 

While the high temp doesn't seem to have affected the IPA, I'm wondering about the pilsner.  It doesn't taste too good after being in the bottle for around 6 weeks.  I'm going to let it condition in the bottles for a while longer but wanted know what the experts thought.

So what do ya'll think?

If there is an extra re at the end of this, it is because my phone refuses to delete it. re

Chances are you are fine, so long as it wasn't at 80 for an extended number of days.

I think most of Mr. Beer's "Pilsners" don't actually use pilsner yeast so it should be fine at higher temps (still 80 is a little warm).

I'm not familiar with Pilothouse Pilsner but if it is like other Mr. Beer pilsners then it should be OK.

I've never seen one that warm, so I can't say. 80 is pretty high though, I wouldn't be surprised if it has a negative impact.  Nothing you can do about it now, so you might as well relax,  have a beer, and hope for the best.  

The high temp usually does affect the beer but the more weeks you leave it for conditioning, the less the impact. Well, up to a point. 4 of my 10 batches I've worried that they were ruined, 3 were fine in the end. The 4th is bottled 1  week ago. RDWHAHB.

/Sam