Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
BrianBrew

Using tap water

I used bottled spring water for my first few batches and I am considering trying tap water for the next. I saved the two 1 gallon jugs. Do I need to sanitize them before I fill them with tap water or is that not necessary since you are boiling the water anyway?

If they have been sitting open and wet, sanitizing is a good idea. With hopped extract brewing we normally do not boil so much water using the MB kit.

If you were using spring water off the shelf of a store you 'd be fine but since you're talking used empties that you will be filling with tap water, it's a good idea to sanatize them just in case.

I use tap water (well) for all my brewing.  I refrigerate it in a 2.5 gallon slimline and sanitize that before I fill it.  

Multiple containers can be sanitized with the same sanitizer, so sanitize your water containers, put the sanitizer batch into a airtight container, and store it until you brew a day or two later.  For better shelf life, refrigerate it but then let it warm before using again.

If you're using city water its probably been treated with chlorine or more likely chloramine.  Chloramine won't dissipate from a jug of water left on the kitchen counter overnight like chlorine.  Boiling doesn't get rid of it either.  You might want to run your tap water through a Brita charcoal filter before putting it into your recycled jugs.  This will eliminate chlorine/chloramine.  Alternatively you could add half a crushed Campden tablet to your water before brewing and get rid of the chloramine that way.  

Whether chlorinated tap water negatively effects the taste of your beer is debatable I suppose.  I've seen it written if your tap water tastes great, its OK to use.  We've got one of those Brita water pitchers on the counter, and the water out of it tastes better than the tap.  So if I need some extra top up water I use the Brita pitcher.

Drop $20 on a basic Pur water filter that snaps onto your faucet.  I've made hundreds of batches and not one issue with the water. 

Good luck.