Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
beer80

First Brew Not So Great....Looking For Advice**

I just finished my first brew and I followed the instructions exaclty.  I waited the two weeks for fermenting and then another 2 weeks for carbonation. I sanitized everything correctly, and I got a beer that is just "ok".  Carbonation seems good and the taste is ok, but it is not full bodied and is kind of like lightly flavored carbonated water.  My first batch was the Octoberfest.  I did half the batch with carbonation pellets and half with sugar and I could tell no differenct.   Anything I can try on the second batch? 

Thanks for the advice!

First disregard the 2 weeks stuff, if your not using a hydrometer for Original  and Finish gravities leave your fermenter alone for three weeks and after bottling don't bother with them for at least 4 weeks, they take a minimum of two weeks to carbonate and two to finish conditioning at room temp. Only then go ahead and put what you will drink into the fridge for 2-3 days to let the carbonation absorb back into the beer and the trub to settle out.

Thanks Dawg!  I will let the next batch sit for 3wks and then condition for 4wks.  That seems to be the consensus on some of the posts I have read.  Appreciate you helping the newbie!

While the standard refills are on the thin side, they should have more body than carbonated water. I'm wondering if you're fully fermented. What was your temp?

The Oktoberfest is one of the better basic refills in my opinion, I added a lb of LME when I've made it.  If you didn't give it 4 weeks at room temp, as noted by others, that could be one issue.

However, note that the basic refills are 3.1% ABV.  That's not what a "full-bodied" beer is, so try the Bewitched Amber or Winter Dark in the Craft Series, or add 1/2 to 1 lb of LME/DME to your next brew.

You noted no difference between carb pellets and sugar.  RIGHT!  Glad you learned that up front and taught others.  Use table sugar and save money, you get no difference by spending more!

As RickBeer said - good refill but needs a bit more malt. Let it condition a month or more. With the standard refills, get every last drop from the can and do not overfill the LBK.