Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
jd_brew

Belgian Blanc - modification questions

Hi all:

Mr. Beer recipe now uses a different hops and approach with the Falconer's Flight addition. I already have the Mt. Hood hops. The instructions for the new recipe suggest dry hopping one week into fermentation vs. adding at flameout (old recipe).

I'm trying to achieve something close to a blue moon flavor, and was wondering which approach might be closer. My understanding is that the late add of hops to the fermentation will have more effect on aroma and not so much as flavor. i would also be curious about what differences i may notice with the mt. hood vs. falconer's  addition.

I was planning to ferment for 3 weeks at @ 64 ambient temp.

Thanks!

Dry hopping after fermentation is mostly complete will add more hop aroma to the beer.  Late hop additions to the boil will add more hop flavor (and a touch more bitterness - use a brewing software like Qbrew to see how much).  Adding hops at flame out (adding them to boiled water just before pouring in the Mr. Beer HME/LME will add some aroma, but a lot will be lost during fermentation as gasses escape the LBK.  That's why the recipe calls for dry hopping now -- keeps more hop aroma in the beer.

The Blue Moon website says they use a mix of domestic and imported hops in their signature beer.  Most of the Blue Moon clone recipes I've seen use Hallertauer in a 60 minute boil for bittering.  Mt Hood is a Hallertauer hybrid mostly used for aroma.  It's described as spicy whereas Falconer's Flight is described as citrusy.   

BM also uses Valencia orange peels which are sweet.  If you're using the zest, Valencias are easy to find in the grocery.