Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
MRB-Robert

2014 Dopplebock early review

We made 2 batches of the Dopplebock they were bottled on 2/6, so it has only been 3 weeks in the bottle but we do have an early review. The beers were fermented for 2 weeks in the LBK.

1st Batch, Now I know the Dopplebock uses a lager yeast but this one, we fermented at room temperature, just to see how it would turn out. We ran into a little complication brewing (not paying attention lol)  so our OG was off only about 1.066. The FG was about 1.012 when it was bottled. Once this batch was bottled it was left to carb/condition at room temperature. This batch had decent carbonation , a good mouth-feel. It had some bready/crust notes. It was a slight bit sulfurey though.

2nd Batch, This batch we lagered, it fermented right at 55 degrees, the OG was 1.072 and it finished about 1.014 for the FG. Once this one was bottled we took half of the bottles and let them carb/condition at room temperature the other half were at the lager temperature. The batch that was at room temperature was a little sweeter than the 1st batch, closer to a Dopplebock style. It also had very few sulfery notes than the other one. Now the one that was carb/conditioned at the lager temperature was the best, definitely the way to go with this brew.  It was sweet, caramely, and was pretty darn close to being in line with a Dopplebock.

This seasonal is best when it is lagered, and will be best at over 4 to 5 weeks in the bottle. With some longer aging it will be a pretty darn sweet Dopplebock! The picture does not do it much justice, it is not that dark, it has much more of a golden color to it. Hope you guys enjoy it!

c2e0453c-1766-4213-8a89-679b76e917e5.jpg

The 2nd batch portion that you also carbed/conditioned at Lager temps; were those the same temps (55ish) that you fermented it at? I've seen many posts that talk about fermenting in the 50s, but lagering at a much cooler temp, but i was wondering if they would successfully carbonate.

did you do a D rest, and if so, at what point?

My doppelbock came on monday, but with the wrong LME so I'm waiting for the correct one before I start it.

Yeah mine came with the Golden LME when the recipe calls for PALE LME. Just emailed customer service hoping they send me the correct one soon. I was really pumped to start brewing this soon!