Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
LastCall

Brewers of the month answers for new brewers!

Being 53 years of age and learning a lifetime and still learning I want to encourage all new brewers like myself to be aware after making a post question and getting an answer be sure and look at how many post have been made by the person giving you the answer. Experience is worth it's weight in gold while learning how to make good beer. As an old man once told me "you learn more by listening than you do by talking". I am not saying that some that are new to this forum don't know what they are talking about but just take into account those who have been here a very long time. I salute all the Brewers of the Month!

Spot on. I am new to brewing and have a lot to learn. I will give advise from time to time, but I would always defer to the more experienced brewers.

LastCall said: ...look at how many post have been made by the person giving you the answer. ..

It's a good idea to pay attention, but post count alone should not be your criteria. Most answers on internet forums were not handed to Moses on Mt. Sinai. :)

As the original post quoted, one learns more by listening than by talking.  Some oeople with modest post counts have at least as much knowledge as people with a lot of posts, because they only post when they actually have something to add.  There are also knowledgable people who joined after they already bave good skills.  As you learn the basics and gain experience, read sources like John Palmer's How To Brew or Charlie Papazian's Complete Joy of Homebrewing, and watch for answers to questions that ard consistent with those sources. 

I'm living proof that  Brewer of the Month does not equal most knowledgeable brewer.

All anyone has to do is look at the Minnesota shirt to know that...   :)