Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
boshman

wheat lme question

I have a wheat lme that I would like to use. What refill would work with this ? I wanted to mix it with a patriot lager hme but was told it moght not work the way I would like. Hate to have it and not be able to use it. Any suggestions from my fellow brwers ?

It will work with any extract (i.e., the yeast will ferment it and it will become beer).  Kinda just depends on what kind of beer and what kind of flavor you want.

I got the same problem, i was sent the incorrect LME PACK AND ITS THE golden wheat one.

I was thinking of adding it a can of Classic American Light, and then maybe a little light DME with an oz of cascade or something. Im not sure what it will taste like, but I cant see it changing the flavor too much, would it?

I was thinking that or maybe adding it to my Belgian Spice Ale, bc Im pretty sure its a wheat beer and assume the wheat LME would compliment it?

anyone got suggestions? besides buying more kits, I cant justify it as I just got the seasonal 4 pack, the 2 4 1 patriots, and an CAL recently, so I got those to work with

Assuming the LME is 50/50 wheat and pale malts (not sure if it is, but that's fairly normal for wheat LMEs on the market, so for the sake of argument, we'll say it is), 22% of your bill is wheat (before adding the little bit of DME, since I can't quantify that), so it will change the flavor to a certain degree.  However, I personally don't think that that is a bad thing.  There are plenty of commercial pale ales and the like that use some wheat in the bill.  A lot of times wheat is added to give a fuller body and better head retention and lacing.  It generally gives a lighter flavor than barley malt.  It will, however, likely produce a hazy beer just due to the higher gluten level as compared to barley malts.

rrgarvey said:I got the same problem, i was sent the incorrect LME PACK AND ITS THE golden wheat one.

If you contact MrB I am sure they will send you out what you ordered.

Thanks Swen & Rob. Think I may go with the Bavarian , the wheat lme & a dry hop addition. Just didn't want to see a good lme go to waste . Thanks again guys !!