Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Variable556

Newbie wanna be brewer needs advice.

Hi fellow beer lovers, first post here and all (think I'm in the right section).

I recently made my first Mr. Beer batch, and it came out somewhat okay, but I want better.  I made the American Light kit that came in the box, and followed the directions, but it tasted like crap at first.  After letting the bottles set for much longer, the beer started tasting better and better.  My last bottle was actually a drinkable beer, but I want something a bit stronger both in taste (less watery) and abv content.

I ordered two of the Patriot Lager deluxe refill kits during the recent sale, and also ordered two booster pouches.  I'm thinking one "Patriot Lager" can of HME, plus one Pale Brewmax LME, and one booster pouch will be okay?

I tried reading the thread about adjuncts, but don't really understand it.  Is 1 can of HME + 1 pouch of LME + 1 pouch of booster acceptable?

[sorry for double posting, I tried editing my post to add additional information, but editing doesn't work right on my ipad for some reason]

My two favorite commercial beers are Heineken and Grolsch (I like Grolsch best).  I figured I'd try the patriot lager after the american light, and maybe it'd taste a little closer to what I like.  I found some Grolsch clone recipes online, but they are way over my head to understand at this point, and I don't have any way to do cold fermenting with real Lager yeasts.  Is the Patriot's Lager even remotely Grolsch-like? :)

Booster won't help you thickness desire, LME will.   Make 1 batch with booster, one without, and see exactly what booster does fir you   Give both at least 4 weeks conditioning at room temp.  Then try one of each and give the rest more time.

Booster is an adjunct.  LME is not.

No, it is not like Grolsch.

Rick forgot his other standard response of letting your batch sit for 3 weeks during initial fermentation.  Gotta give him a pass due to the early hour though.  +1 on comparison brew.  Other advice, use time waiting to bottle to read, read, read.  If nothing else start with Beer For Dummies - actually has good easy to understand info.  Grolsch and most other popular beers are rooted in Pilsner sty land are lagers.  Palme's book is ex excellent .

Prost!

You will also want to carb and condition at room temperature for 4 weeks prior to putting in the fridge, but feel free to "cheat" and try earlier.  You will see what difference time makes.

Patriot Lager is not a true lager but an ale with ale yeast.  A lager will require a bottom feeding yeast and brewed well below room temperature (unless you are an eskimo).

There are many things you can do to improve an extract-only beer but get a few under your belt and see how they taste and feel as then you will really begin to understand what different things do to the beer.

1 can of HME + LME and booster should be fine. Give it the full 3 weeks fermenting and 4 weeks or more conditioning before you pop one in the fridge. I am not a fan of added sugars (or booster). IMHO add more malt to boost alcohol and boost flavor. I like a good malt flavor in my beers so I have been adding much more malt  than 8 oz of LME and have been very pleased. Recently I've been steeping grains and the difference is fantastic. Eventually, you will progress. Good brewing to ya

Thanks for all the good advice guys!  I'll do one batch with booster, and one without.  I'll also do them both with the three week primary fermentation, and four week carbonation/conditioning.  I really appreciate the help!  

That's a good idea doing it both ways.  I have a friend with another kit that he never used.  I'll see if I can use his lbk, and that way I can do both batches simultaneously with the only difference being the booster in one batch.  That will definitely show us exactly what difference the booster makes in taste and overall quality.

I'll report back with my results when it is done.  :-D

you might find a few answers to the goings on in "The Simple Guide Line". Just saying...

I think booster is nothing more than corn syrup solids... using too much will make watery thin beer. it is usually more betterer to use malt instead of adjuncts.

Oops!  I didn't realize that was a tacked thread.  I'm used to seeing little tack symbols.  I was jumping around and missed your thread.  Good info Sir, Thank you!