Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
boshman

Is this going to be a bad batch ?

Bottled a batch a 1 1/2 weeks ago. Made a Patriot lager with a pale lme & a pale dme that someone gave me. Fermented fine no problems . When I tasted it after 3 weeks in lbk, was flat tasting. Went ahead and bottled . Came out almost clear with no visible trub. Used carb drops , after about 3 days the bottles were hard as a rock . Now here is my concern , there is a noticeable amount of trub in the bottom of each bottle as well as " floaters " on the top . I did not cold crash this batch like I normally would have . And the lbk temps stayed around 68 / 72 degree range . Is something wrong with this batch as I never had this happen before.

Nothing to really worry about. You get some trub with bottle carbing. It just means the yeast is still active and doing it's job. Let it sit for the suggested 4 weeks at the room temp, and there you have it. Pour gentle...

Thanks Yankeedag. That kind of freaked me out as I never seen that happen when bottling before . I use a bottling wand so was pretty sure no trub went in the bottles. The only time I seen this was on a import beer ( Pilsner Urquell I think ) . So no worries then .

when you give yeast stuff to eat, you get trub and co2. bottle primed and conditioned beer has 'lees' - a layer of trub, yeast etc that settles out.  as dag mentioned a slow gentle pour will leave most of the lees in the bottle. I for one just pour away and drink the yeasty goodness. of course I pay for it later with stomach cramps and the runs but who cares? free vitamin B!

They only problem I see know is potential "bottle bombs " as they seem to be WAY over carbonated. Had to sacrifice my "trup / last bottle " to bottle another batch . When I opened it up it was like a diet coke with a mentos put in it!! When I checked my other bottles and backed them off a bit they wanted to do the same thing . The bottles are all rock hard but not misshaped in any way . No idea what the deal is with them .