Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Brumble

3rd batch update, peach classic American lite

hey everybody,

Here's an update on our 3rd ever batch.

We took a basic classic American lite HME, added a standard Mr. beer Pale LME, then added 15.5 ounces of puréed peaches in syrup (canned).

Now on this, our 1st batch using the peaches, we added them during the 1st week of fermentation. Will probably add them during the 2nd week in future batches.

That being said, this time we fermented for 3 weeks, then bottle conditioned with basic table sugar for the next 4 weeks before refrigerating our 1st bottle for 3 days and testing.

The result has been very pleasant. While a real "peach" flavor definitely does not come through, there is a fruity/alcohol flavor on the backend. It's not overpowering at like that, just like a pure fruit alcohol flavor that doesn't make itself noticed until the finish.

This is another one we are going to condition for a few more weeks to see the change in flavor. Will probably be trying the Porter again this coming weekend, which will have been conditioning for 7 weeks at that point.

We also have a 4th batch conditioning now, the Aztec HME combined with a Golden LME. Fermented it for 3 weeks and it's only been conditioning for 7 days so far, so still a good while to go on that one.

That does sound like a pretty good recipe, but yea I would add them later, if really helps the flavor of the fruit really stick around.

Keep us updated on the peach flavor and whether it settles in or not. I am thinking about a peach/wheat recipe but am thinking of using extract rather than canned. Seems like it might save a couple of bucks...

from what I've read, the flavor isn't going to settle in at this point. But that's okay, it definitely looks like it's going to be an enjoyable beer. Right now we're just conditioning a longer to see if the fruity alcohol flavor on the back end blends with the rest of it a little more. It's definitely drinkable right now, but we think it can be really good with a few more weeks.

I'll definitely update after the next taste test! I'll see if maybe I can even get a couple of pictures

here is the promised update on our peach classic American lite

We gave the batch another month of bottle conditioning, took it out on April 13 and then put it in the fridge for a week or so, tried it again the other night. Surprisingly, the aroma has become a more fruity that was previously. It doesn't smell exactly peachy, but it's definitely a fruity aroma. At the same time, the fruity alcohol flavor on the back end has dissipated, but there is still a definite back end kick.

Right now, this is actually my favorite of the 3 batches we have handled. It's refreshing, not overly carbonated, very easy to drink, and it still packs a bit of a punch. We've got about half of our remaining bottles from this one in the fridge, and we're going to give the other half another month or 2 and see how it goes. But, extremely happy with this one as is after 2 months :-)

I'm glad to hear it turned out good! IMHO, this is the best time of year for the fruity flavors and aromas.

I have Northern Brewer's American Wheat that I'll be making and dividing into 2 LBK's.  I've read several review that adding 1 lb. of honey is a good idea but also to add fruit.  I've never used fruit before and was looking for any helpful insight possible.  Thank you in advance.  I've read cherry is a flavor many have liked adding but also lemon is a potential fruit.  Now that I read about this peach recipe, I'm intrigued in that as well.

SlickRick,

I did the same thing with an American Pale Wheat 5 gallon batch recently. I divided it into two LBKs using a peach extract in one and a blueberry extract in the other. I have also gone the canned direction and it turned good but the extract is easier. That said, the canned fruit method wasn't really difficult it's just that you will need to sanitize your blender before liquifying the fruit and be careful when pouring it into the batch. If you decide to use canned fruit, wait until fermentation has been going a week or so before adding it and be careful to pour it slowly so that you don't aerate the beer.