Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
newf84

Patriot Lager Plus

I had some dextrose and some golden light Lme sitting around so I figured I would use it today.

Might be good might be a disaster lol

I call Patriot Plus

1 can Patriot lager Hme

3 cups dextrose

1 lb golden Lme 

OG 1.073

It likely will be cidery for a very long time.  Next time no dextrose.  Your mad scientist approach isn't one I'd recommend.

I was going to brew it without the dextrose but I had that much left and figured I better use it up.

Your probably right.it may have been a bad decision but only time will tell now.

I was planning on bottle conditioning for 2-3 months before tasting any 

If you spend some time reading the forums, you'll see that adding 3 cups of sugar, roughly 1.4 pounds, would never be recommended.  One of the things that the forum is great for is reducing the chance that "I figured" ruins a batch.  When you find that "many did", that plan of action tends to yield more success.  It's likely learning anything, you see what those before you have screwed up and you try (and sometimes succeed) at not making the same mistakes.  For example, I've never added sugar to a brew, so all I know is what I've read from over two years on beer forums.  I've also never used brown sugar because of what I've read.  Or molasses.  Or a cat's butt (long story, read the forum...).

Sugar is close to the worst thing you can add to a brew.  That said, many of the 5-6 gallon UK kits actually say to add 2.2 pounds of sugar.  Most replace sugar with LME or DME and are much happier with the results.  

My first few batches of Mr. Beer were brewed too warm, using Mr. Beer's booster, and usually tasted like crap.  What I brew now, whether Mr. Beer or recipes I find on the internet, tastes magnitudes better.

Like any hobby, if you are satisfied with the results it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.  I often will post on a thread like this so that others who read it can understand any potential pitfalls, and either not do the same thing OR do exactly the same thing because you were happy with your result.  

Thanks again rick. I do appreciate your input.

I was curious. If u were to make a patriot lager how would u do it

I tried it straight up.. its ok but lacking something 

Hate to be a broken record, but... it's posted in the forums numerous times.  :)  

Many of the Mr. Beer basic refills are somewhat light/watery.  Many of us add LME or DME to the basic refills to get them to have better mouthfeel, slightly higher ABV, and be maltier.  The standard is 1/2 to 1 lb of LME/DME (a lb of LME is .8 lbs of DME, a lb of DME is 1.25lbs of LME).  The DELUXE KITS add 8.8 oz of LME to the basic refills.  

I ALWAYS add a pound of pale LME to Mr. Beer basic refills.  I like malty beers.  I found that the Patriot and Aztec (never brewed Classic American Light) were not to my liking REGARDLESS. 

I made Aztec with just over 1/2 lb of LME.  Never would make that again. 

Since it's easy to do, here's the current Mr. Beer products I did buy (I also bought many of the old ones on clearance):

Cherry Wheat - made from Bavarian Weissbier - included booster back then, would not make again, very cidery.  Has since been modified.

Bewitched Amber Ale - excellent.  Would make again (if I was buying more Mr. Beer products) with a pound of LME.

Winter Dark Ale - excellent as is.

Oktoberfest Lager - would make again with 1 lb of LME.  

Blue Patriot - would not make again.  

Jamaica Mon - would not make again.    

I have the following current Mr. Beer products on the shelf and am likely going to sell them - 1 Aztec and 2 Classic American Light.

Thank you Rickbeer, I think I will try this one next time I visit my lhbs

Bewitched Amber Ale - excellent.  Would make again (if I was buying more Mr. Beer products) with a pound of LME.

I really do appreciate your advise/help

I recently brewed the Powerful Patriot recipe with the addition of a softpack of Pale LME, 4oz of carpils, 2oz of carared and an extra addition of Liberty hops. came out VERY good. I compared(actual side by side taste test.) it to a New Belgian Fat tire amber ale but better. it was a little more malty and a wee bit more bitter. 6.7% ABV.

The rule is no more than 30-33% adjunct to malt.  That being said, I wouldnt recomment going anywhere near that with pure sugar.  Yeast will chomp on that sugar so be very careful of your temperature as it will kick higher than if just fermenting malts.  Also, hold this batch with a grain of salt as to watch MrB tends to brew.  As Rick said, look for some extended conditioning time to get everything cleaned up.

I realize I'm a little late joining this thread - but TOO much sugar! The 1 can Patriot plus the pound of LME would have been sufficient. You could add more, but at that point I would add hops too.

As per RickBeer:

Winter Dark Ale  - excellent as is

Nut Brown Ale - super as is

Oktoberfest -  Very good but add a pound or more of LME/DME (hop addition not a bad idea)

Bewitched Amber Ale - excellent as is

American Porter - Very good, add a pound of DME

NW Pale Ale -did not care for this one, but I brewed it straight up, no additions. 

Patriot larger - good but add DME/LME and some hops won't hurt

Better to try adding a little DME, perhaps some hops, or follow an established recipe, rather than go mad scientist.

Caution: Thread Hi-Jack

NW Pale Ale -did not care for this one, but I brewed it straight up, no additions.

I have to admit, I totally agree with this as disappointed as I am to agree. I love an I/NWPA as much as the next guy but this seemed to turn out a disaster! I have had this in the bottle for weeks now and it is not getting better. In fact, it smelled funky in the keg and has continued to be that way ever since. I have seen several posts saying that this one might mellow out over a couple of months but I think that I would rather have the bottles back and brew something else...

Full disclosure: I tried to steep carapils with this one and might have had a tannin leech due to higher-than 155 degrees when steeping so it could possibly be my fault for the result :-)