Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
TonyK

how much grain to steep for 5 gal batch of wheat extract brew

Hello All, I plan to brew a five gallon batch of wheat beer from Muntons hopped wheat extract, and 3lbs of wheat LME.

Question is what grain should i steep and how many pounds.  Thanks for your attention. TonyK

hi tonyk I suggest u check out this brewing forum 17crew.com u wont regret it... this Mr.beer forum is great too tho...but if u join the 17crew send me a pm I will try to set u up with the right guys to help you

How much grain to steep depends on what kind of beer you want to make.  I'm not familiar with the Muntons HME so I don't know its hop character, but with the right hop to malt balance, and using a good wheat yeast, wheat extract can make a nice hefeweizen without adding any steeped grains.  If you need to add hops to do a hefeweizen with the right balance, use 'noble' hops like halletauer or saaz.  Many other variations of wheat beers are possible, with various combinations and amounts of grains. You can search Google for recipes. 

Foothiller said:How much grain to steep depends on what kind of beer you want to make.  I'm not familiar with the Muntons HME so I don't know its hop character, but with the right hop to malt balance, and using a good wheat yeast, wheat extract can make a nice hefeweizen without adding any steeped grains.  If you need to add hops to do a hefeweizen with the right balance, use 'noble' hops like halletauer or saaz.  Many other variations of wheat beers are possible, with various combinations and amounts of grains. You can search Google for recipes. 

This ^^^^^

This ^^^

lol

The last wheat beer I made was a lemon wheat with 7# of wheat extract.  I used 1/2# of pale ale malt and 1# of red wheat.  Hopes was 1oz of whitbread golding for bitter.  But once again, how much you use will depend on what you are looking.  I was looking for an easy drinking brew around 5%.  But, using a HME you will already have a profile so difficult to say what type of hops will blend in well without having tried it nekkid first.