Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Another_Round

Hops Boiling

I have seen on here many times that, in terms of boiling hops, the following should be followed:

30-60 mins for bittering

10-20 mins for fruity/spicy flavor

5 mins for aroma

This might sound like a dumb questions but, if a hop is boiled for 60 minutes, will it impart bitterness, flavor, and aroma to the beer or just bitterness?  I guess what I'm asking is, is it accurate to say:

30-60 minutes for bittering, flavor, aroma

10-20 mins for just flavor and aroma

5 mins for just aroma

So it would be accurate to, if I wanted all three properties of a hop, boil the hop for 60 minutes instead of boiling 1/3rd for 60 mins, then adding 1/3rd with 10-20 mins left, then adding 1/3rd with 5 mins left.

I'm guessing this is the case, but I'm not sure if parts of the hops providing the aroma and flavor would break down if boiled longer than 5 or 20 mins respectively and only provide bitterness.

noob here... just my 2.5 cents..

you pick hops based on their qualities ie 'good for bittering' vs 'aroma' or flavor.  usually the really good bittering hops have a higher alpha acid rating... don't know what this means so I wont pretend to be an expert. good for bittering / not good for flavor or aroma.  it seems like the flavor and aroma hops are more 'delicate' in that their volatile oils can only take so much heat before they start to dissipate into the air. (another speculation)

so a bittering hop sees the most benefit from a long boil, while a flavor hop needs only a few minutes. I would guess that if you took 1/3 of your bittering hop and boiled for 20 minutes, your bitterness level would be weak... add another third later... it would just be getting started by the time you flamed out.

think of it like this: take a paint brush , dip it in paint and paint a splotch on a wall. come back 20 minutes later and paint another splotch next to it... then 20 minutes later another. at 60 mins the first will be more dry than the middle , which is more dry than the last. you will have 3 thin splotches of paint in varying stages of dryness. take the same amount of paint and apply it all at once to one splotch. 60 minutes later, the splotch is thicker and dryer. your bitterness will be like the 3 splotches.. a mix of varying strengths and not much flavor or aroma.

like I said...still a noob myself but that's how I see it.

That chart is great and actually confirms the opposite of what I had thought.  @ZORAK - that paint analogy was very helpful as well.  Thanks for the help guys!