Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
rudy

flip top bottles

I will be bottling 84 bottles of IPA for a friends bridal shower. She bought 16 oz swing top bottles. Is there any tips or suggestions on bottling with them? Thanks

If they're new there should be no issue, seems that the seals have to be replaced eventually.

Only tip I have is before I used mine the first time I did a dry run with one just to make sure I had the hang of it as to how the cap goes on.

the only thing I could add is...

make sure they have glasses capable of holding the 16oz of beer.

yankeedag said:the only thing I could add is...

Leave it to Dag to get to the heart of the real problem!

Also, you may need to educate the guests about leaving a wee bit of liquid in the bottle so they dont all drink the yeast.  Nothing is worse than a contained room with a bunch of flatulating wedding guests!!!

yankeedag said:the only thing I could add is...

Excellent point.  Because if you put 12 oz in a glass and then go to top it off, you may have stirred up the trub in the bottle with the remaining beer.

Just bought a set of 12 pint glasses for a great price.  However, they only hold a pint if you fill them to the absolute edge which is unmanageable.  They are really 15 ounce glasses and a 16.9 ounce beer won't fit.

I agree with the seals wearing out after some uses but the bigger problem is with the metal prongs......sometimes ya need to take a pair of needle nose pliers and tighten 'em up some.  Replacement seals are easy to come by from either a beer suply store or a hardware store (which are much cheaper).  Since I am retired military, I visit the Class Six on a nearby military base and buy those heavy/thick green bottles from across the pond with the name that starts with a "G".  A bottle full of beer costs a bit less than an empty bottle from a brewing supply store and as I savor the taste I rinse out the bottle for re-use!  Also, I have found that the same bottle of beer at the local beverage shop costs about the same as an empty bottle from the brewing store plus I still get to drink the beer.  Years ago, I used to brew my own beer but got rid of the capper, bottles, and the rest of the system.  I made some fine cider last fall and bought some Mr Beer kits recently and I am slowly getting back into the fun of things.

I tend to brew on the strong side (abv 6%+) so I often pour about 8oz in my pint glasses at a time. Sure a little trub is stirred up due to the double pour, but if properly chilled (at least 24hrs in the fridge), it is compact enough that only a small amount gets in the second pour.

As far as the flippies, I bought a case of Grolsch when I started brewing in 2010. These were the 16oz ones and I have since bought a case of the 15.2oz grolsch flippies. I haven’t yet had to replace the seals/gaskets on any of them. I do check the seals each time they are used and they are still flexible with no signs of cracking or other wear. Is there anything else I should look for when checking?

Fred, couldn't agree more on the trub in the second pour issue. I do it all the time. If you're at all careful it's pretty minimal.

I've had flippies for about 3 years and have never replaced a seal.

Thanks for all the replies. The biggest pain so far has been putting the flip tops on all those bottles. I will let her know to tell the guests. The labels she made read "something old, something new, something borrowed and something brewed" Cheers