Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Guest MrBeer

What Really happened to the Patriot Lager??

Guest MrBeer

Here are some theories that are going around of what might have happened to the Patriot Lager. Please post your vote on what you think it was.

1. The shipment was repatriated by the Russian Military.

2. Coopers forgot to brew it.

3. The last container was captured by Aliens to be sold throughout the universe!

4. It had to retire because of its views on gay marriage.

5. It vanished in the Indian Ocean.

6. MrBeer received a cease and desist letter from a famous brewery. (guess which one?)

I'll say #6,  Sam Adams?

Maybe #2?  Possible since you Aussies have been known to imbibe............though probably no more than me.

I say if it was #6 and it was Sam Adams whining, Mr. Beer needs to grow a pair and tell them to pound sand.  It wasn't the same even though the label did bear a slight resemblance to Sam Adams labels.  Whoopee.  Grow a pair.

#1 Damn Russkies got our beer!!

#5 Transponder on our beer got turned off, it flew the wrong direction, and is sitting off the coast of Australia growing old and bitter.

#7 Our inventory management personnel are not very competent and let it run out without ordering.

If it was #6, then ALL traces would have to be removed from the website, and it's still there.

They should make a note that when you run a 2 for 1 on something that they better stock up on it.  Kind of a bummer, it actually came out not too bad luckily I have some other stuff to play with for a bit.

I'm guessing 6. because they ask "which brewery"  If it's not the answer there would be no need to guess the brewery.

I vote for option #6 - BTW the real Sam Adams was an ugly SOB and nothing like the picture on the bottle. But ugly does not sell beer - cute babes in cut off tees can sell even crap beer (can you guess which?).

I like #5, but I think RickBeers #7 is more accurate..... 

I would be interested in knowing what the dates were on the 2 for 1 's, were they close dated so they had to dump them at 50% ?

ts, are you from Chicago so you get to vote 3 times?

Just kidding.

I guess my can of Patriot Lager just appreciated. Who wants to make me an offer?

Also maybe the reason why they were offering those 2 for 1 deals was to get rid of there inventory before a specified date or something

The 2 for 1 PL that I received had 13 Nov 2015 date on the bottom of the can,  I bought several, they all have the same date. On the 20  percent sale I received I can of CAL with15 Oct 2014.

Guest MrBeer

The correct is.... number 6. We were asked nicely by a brewery to stop selling the Patriot Lager. It will be back in a few months under a new name but the same malt as before. 

I hope it stays the same other than name/packaging since it actually came out pretty good for me. 

Mr.Beer said:The correct is.... number 6. We were asked nicely by a brewery to stop selling the Patriot Lager. It will be back in a few months under a new name but the same malt as before. 

Wow, several months?  Probably should have said that you would switch over once new packaging was ready and inventory was built back up, especially since that is a staple in the starter kits.  My guess is they didnt ask all that nice.  Otherwise, they would have offered us a free glass or something.

#666 ...

Do I get 3 free refills ?

(Sorry, the devil made me do it...)

No offense to my friends who work for Mr. B, but I always thought it was horribly named anyway.  The name and label clearly alluded to it being a Sam clone, but it's nowhere near that.  That being said, I like the last brew I did with the TAFKAPL (is that the new name?  That would so rock if it was...) which was with a true lager yeast, so I'm glad you are returning it to the lineup.

I can see the new labels now...  A plain white label with this logo on the front...

tafkap.jpg

and in small purple letters across the bottom, the words...

"The ale formerly known as P*****t Lager"

Oh...  well I see your point...  that wouldn't be the way to go to avoid lawsuits...

;)  :cheers:

found some at Bass Pro Shop in a box with cerveza going to pick up in the morning.

#7 The King had it beheaded for treason. 

I still have like 8 cans of the stuff. Maybe  I should hold on to one as a collectors item. 

Why would THAT brewery care if MrBeer sales a cheap, tasteless HME that is not in ANY WAY similar to anything they make

Sheesh, I mean, if you had called it "Jim Adams", I can see that.  But I guess the lawyers have figured out that entire genres are off the table now.  Next, it will be about using  any words with an A,D,M, or S in them.

I do understand that Mr. Beer can't afford to go up against that big an opponent, but here's hoping the Striesand effect kicks them.

Now I want to buy a bottle SA and dump it in a harbor somewhere...  Might just do it and send them a pic.

Buy that bottle and send it my way

They make good beer

Better than mr beer can make on its own

dbrowning said:

Buy that bottle and send it my way

They make good beer

Better than mr beer can make on its own

First, I in no way meant to say SA didn't make a good beer or that they haven't done a lot to raise the profile of better beer in America.  I think it's great that they're around.  And your point about Mr. Beer quality, which I'll accept for the purposes of this post, coupled with the relatively minute quantities of P*****t Lager that Mr. Beer sold, and coupled with the non-trivial overlap of interests between craft brew drinkers and homebrewers, means that SA did not have to react in the way they did.

Seriously, what do they stand to gain?  There's no confusion in the marketplace.  There is essentially no competition at the tap or on the shelves at Spec's.  Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.  And SA looks insecure when they worry about stuff like this.  I'm sure Mr. Beer is not something that keeps Koch up at night.

In my book, this is petty corporate lawyering which they should have perceived as beneath them and their reputation.

The quality of their beer doesn't make it appropriate or reasonable.

I know, I should RDWHAHB, but I just started my first batch this week... 

dbrowngin,if you're in the Dallas or Houston area, let me know and I'll spring for a couple cold ones...  ;-)

I just went to Samuel Adams website and gave them this feedback:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Samuel Adams has mistakenly caused itself some bad public relations.  I am a new homebrewer, who started enthusiastically with a Mr. Beer kit.  I joined the their forums at http://community.mrbeer.com and found a discussion about a kit they make which was called 'Patriot Lager'.  The product was sold out and was having to be re-introduced because of a cease-and-desist letter from Samuel Adams.

I completely understand the need to protect brands and trademarks, but I think this action will cost much more in loss of goodwill than it will pay off in brand integrity.

Considering that the Samuel Adams and homebrewers everywhere all do it 'for the love of beer', could SA please find a way to make this right with Mr. Beer?

I appreciate your consideration of this matter.

Tim

I think the issues is that if you do not show that you are actively trying to enforce your copyrights and trademarks, if another company does come in and do the same thing like Miller coming out with "American Patriot Lager," they can argue that the name was not actively defended in the past and thus is basically in the public domain.  That is one of the reasons Xerox fought to keep Xeroxing from becoming xeroxing and Band-Aid from becoming a bandaid.  But, they could have come to an agreement and "licensed" use of the similar name for a buck a year or something like that.