Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
toddlenny77

Cidery taste

I've read about this in a few posts, but I've done a few different things, classic light, classic light with booster, classic light with pale lme. Sanitize everything I use, follow directions to a T, 4 weeks in lbk, 3-4 weeks in bottles, they all have a ciders taste to them. What am I doing wrong or what is going wrong?

Here's the kicker, my two most recent batches, classic light with booster and classic light with pale lme, drank a bottle after only two weeks of being bottled, amazing, was very happy, but another bottle at 3 weeks and 4 weeks I had the ciders taste again.

Does how long you believe a bottle in the refrigerator matter? I had a bottle in long enough to get cold, and had a bottle in for 3-4 days, both cidery tasting. 

I don"t know sounds like green beer. I just do 3 weeks in LBK them bottle and let sit 4 weeks. Some Beers might take longer let them sit another two weeks then put in fridge for three days.

How are you sanitizing?  Is there a chance that anything is touching your wort after it boiled, that has not been sanitized?  Is everything spotless clean before sanitizing?  (If there is any crud anywhere, the sanitizer can't get behind it, but the long contact with wort and finished beer can let it do its damage.)

Is there a chance that what you have perceived as cidery is actually like medicine or band-aids?

At first I thought my sanitizing using the One-Step cleanser was adequate, but a friend who is a National-rank BJCP judge noticed phenols in one of my beers that seemed to be an infection by wild yeast.  Focusing on what he pointed out, I came to recognize the medicine-like flavor of these phenols.  I also noticed that some of my beers developed that flavor over time, and some bottles were gushers after a while when the batch had started out fine.  Some wild yeast can be slow to work, but can continue to break down things in your beer and become undesirable.  After he pointed out this possibility, I have become more careful than ever about sanitizing, including carefully washing my LBKs twice, and using Iodophor or Star-San as my sanitizer.  I have not had these off-flavors since then, but continue to look for anything in my process that has a risk of wild yeast creeping in.  (We homebrewers don't have paperwork other then keeping our own notes about what we have done and plan to do, but I saw a pro brewer joke recently that his work is 90% cleaning and 10% paperwork.)

All good points.  I would add that in my experience, many of the light colored Mr. Beer brews tasted cidery to me, whereas the darker ones (i.e. Oktoberfest) did not.  I did only brew a few of them though, and the Craft Series has a lot more malt.

CAL is very light.  Adding booster would make it more cidery, not less.  Adding the LME should have made it less.

I would recommend 6 weeks at 70 degrees (not 60 in your basement), then at least 3 days in the frig.  

For me, the biggest problem was high temps.  I got an aquarium thermometer.  Problem solved.  Haven't had that problem since.

Wait...Rick Beer, fermenting at 60 (or low 60s) in basement can make it taste cidery?

My very first batch tastes cidery still but that was fermented at high 70's and I figured that was the attributing factor

rrgarvey said:Wait...Rick Beer, fermenting at 60 (or low 60s) in basement can make it taste cidery?

My very first batch tastes cidery still but that was fermented at high 70's and I figured that was the attributing factor

Rick is talking about CONDITIONING time. Not fermenting. The longer you leave it (at room temp) the better it will get. I never drink mine at 4 weeks. 8 weeks minimum for any Mr.Beer for me. Of course everyone has their own likes and dislikes.

Like many have said, drink one at different stages. I've done that with every batch. It's a lesson that repeats itself.You'll come to the conclusion that longer is better. 

On a side note I just did my first lager. After batch priming I took it back down to the basement floor where it's holding at 55 degrees. I'll leave it there for 4 weeks and try one. I have no idea what the lager yeast will do with the sugar at that temp but can't wait to find out. Of course by then it will be May and temps will slowly be rising.

Hopefully it will carbonate properly. If anyone has any input on lagers with Saflager S-23 yeast feel free to shoot me a comment. I'm in experimental mode. ;-))

I have used S-23 yeast in several beers during the winter, while the temperature in my work room runs 60-62 F, and have found it to ferment very clean, smooth, and bright, allowing malt and hop flavors to shine through.  55 F should be fine for it.  It is supposed to work OK up to at least 65, although it supposedly produces some fruity esters in that range.  I use a whole 11 gram pack of yeast for a 2.25 gallon batch to help ensure the clean fermentation. 

By the way, my schedule is to brew lagers using S-23 in winter, Belgians in summer using Belgian and saison yeasts while my work room runs 75-80 F, and other ales in between. 

Thank you Foothiller. Appreciate the insight. I did bring it up from 55 to 65-66 for 3 days before cold crashing, batch priming and then back to the basement.

Might have to follow that schedule a bit this summer as well. Swapping out ice in the cooler gets old after a few months. But the rewards are worth it. Thanks again.