Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
RyanApfel

weird outcome to my aztec mexican cervesa

i let it ferment for 3 weeks and 2 days. its only been bottle conditioning for a week and 3 days, but i got impatient and i put one in the fridge for 24 hours to try. carbonation was good. good head, good color. taste like crap. it tastes and smells like a really really light cider. even my girlfriend said it tastes like a cider. no beer taste at all. undrinkable. what happend? was it me? or a bad batch of yeast? or does it need more time to condition? obviously i wasn't expecting to be spectacular after only a little over a week of conditioning but i wasn't expecting it to be THAT bad.

Go with the 3-4-3 rule at least. 3 fermenting-4 carb/conditioning at room temp-3 cool conditioning(in the fridge).

Rickbeer gets mad if you don't research on the website and then ask questions.

i did research. hence then quote 

"obviously i wasn't expecting to be spectacular after only a little over a week of conditioning but i wasn't expecting it to be THAT bad."

im obviously new at this and my basic question was, did i do somthing wrong, or does another 2 weeks of conditioning convert it from being undrinkable garbage, to deliciousness.

seems to me that it would taste like somthing resembling beer at this point. i guess im wrong. 

My first batch (Aztec) sat in the fridge for about 6 weeks. It was fairly tasty by then. I noticed a cidery taste in the bottles I had sampled in the weeks prior to that. Let it ride, it's worth it.

My first batch (Aztec) sat in the fridge for about 6 weeks. It was fairly tasty by then. I noticed a cidery taste in the bottles I had sampled in the weeks prior to that. Let it ride, it's worth it.Mark as answered 2 hours ago

useful advice. thanks :)

From John Palmer:

21.2 Common Off-Flavors

There are many flavors that contribute to the overall character of a beer. Some of these flavors have been previously described as malty, fruity, or bitter. When it comes time to figure out why a beer tastes bad though, we need to get more specific. In this section we will discuss several different flavors that can be perceived and what could cause each.

Acetaldehyde

A flavor of green apples or freshly cut pumpkin; it is an intermediate compound in the formation of alcohol. Some yeast strains produce more than others, but generally it's presence indicates that the beer is too young and needs more time to condition.

tumblr_m84vieP8Vm1rciy8ho1_500.gif

I have had good success with a modified MA.  I recommend 3 weeks fermenting and 8 weeks conditioning at room temp.  It will no longer have the cidery after taste that you see currently.  Don't refrigerate until after that 8 weeks of conditioning.  Let one bottle refrigerate, taste it, and then see if it's ready.  That way you can allow the rest of the batch to condition longer if needed but I don't think you will need to by then.

I let mine condition in the bottle for 7 weeks at room temp, before I try it.  Time makes a huge difference in the taste of beer.  Some of these take longer to condition than others.  I used a pack of smooth and a pack of pale LME in my Aztec brew.  Then I let it sit in the LBK for 3 weeks, and 7 weeks in the bottle.  It came out tasting real good.   Closer to a Negra Madelo, which is what I was going for.