Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
antiwraith

Age of yeast and HME?

I've got some aging yeast and LME.  The LME isn't expired per the date on the can, but is approaching.  Yeast shipped with LME.  Some of the yeast has been kept in the fridge, some under the lid of the LME (which has been stored in the house, so climate controlled).

i'm more worried about the yeast vs the LME.   Should it all still be good?

Quite a few posts on this.  I just used yeast from 2011 that came with Mr. Beer cans, and it worked fine.  Best refrigerated, but as long as it's not attic-baked it should be ok.

As for the HME, as long as the can isn't bulging, rusted, or something, it should be fine too.  It will get darker over time, and maybe lose a little bit of the hop character, but will still make good beer.  Once I discovered that a can that I bought at a home wares store was at least a year past its official expiration when I bought it, I didn't feel like taking it back to the store, and used it with caution, but it worked as normal.  (I just didn't buy any more HME from that store.)

Old topic, but I'm about do batch of West Coast Pale Ale with a 2006 expiration date. I'll replace the yeast and see what happens.

In my other LBK, I'll have my fresh/current/just arrived today Deluxe Oktoberfest.

Should be an interesting first two batches!