Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Drunk House Brew

First Time Brewing. Any Suggestions On A Refill Kit?

So I bought my Mr. Beer kit a little over a week ago. My first batch " classic american light" is in the LBK and is close to being ready for bottling. I was wondering what refills to get for my next batch. I have done extensive research on home brewing and Mr. Beer before buying my kit. So what are some great tasting refills?

Do some of your extensive research on the forum, especially the stickies.  Make sure you ferment for 3 weeks, ideally at temps in the mid 60s, then carbonate and condition in bottles for four weeks (or more) at around 70 degrees.

As far as what Mr. Beer refills are good, everyone has different opinions depending on their taste.  The Craft Series is very good (Winter Dark and Bewitched Amber especially), and those that like maltier beers like Oktoberfest Deluxe.

Aztec Mexican Cerveza and Classic American Light are two that aren't highly thought of, neither is American Ale.

Welcome & Good Luck!

I would echo Rick's statement about the Craft Series. The Diablo IPA was the first batch that I really got excited about and is quite enjoyable if you like a little bitterness.

It is all going to depend on what you like to drink.  Craft series is good.  If you are going to brew a standard beer I would spend the extra couple of bucks and upgrade to the deluxe which includes extra LME.

if you want to experiment a litttle bit........ instead of refill kit get some dme or lme,hops and some yeast and build your own great tasting recipe

or just adding some hops and changing out this yeast that comes under the lid on the hme works well too

I would suggest getting a few recipes or refills under your belt before experimenting.  That way you will know how things should taste.  Then start playing around with different ingredients and see how they improve (or not) the beer.