Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
boshman

Safale yeast question

I just made a batch the other night . Pitched at 66 degrees using a packet of Safale s04 dry ale yeast . This was used with a patriot lager hme and 2 pale lme , 1.5 lbs carapils , plus bitter / flavor and finish hop additions . The fermentation was very fast and aggressive . But , it only lasted maybe 24 -36 hours . Lbk does have good trub on bottom and the beer is almost clear when shining a light thru it . I know it fermented , as the trub proves so . My question is has anyone used this yeast before and had similar results ? The product descripitoon does say fast fermentation with high sedimentation . Just amazed at how fast the initial fermentation went .

I have also had some fast termentations using S-04, as well as with the standard MrBeer yeast.  It's still best, though, to keep your beer in the fermenter for a while though, like 3 weeks, to let the yeast clean up their initial byproducts. 

Yes, 04 is fast. Check your FG after 2 weeks, then again 2 to3 days later. If stable you can bottle the following weekend.

1.5 # Carapils ???  Way too much I think. 1/2# would give you good results. 

Also, I am in the process of drinking a Copper ale I did. I did a LBK with 04, and one with 05. For some reason, I had it in my mind I was going to like the 04 better, but actually I like the 05 better. Can't explain why, but I do.

Wow, yeah meant to say .5 pound ( half pound) carapils . And yes I always go 3 weeks in the lbk , just never saw that in a batch before . First time using S04. So it amazed me how it reacted then " cleared" up so quick.