Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Drunk House Brew

Home Brewing Obsession

So I bought my Br. Beer kit 2 weeks ago. It came with the classic american light witch is in the carbonation stage. I picked up the last 2 cans of patriot lager from my local academy store this morning and have one in the LBK. I haven't even tried my first home brew and I'm already completely obsessed with it. Has this happened with anyone else?

Yes, I was brewing a 5 gal batch before I even bottled I'm first Mr. Beer kit and now I have brewed 8 batches since Feb 

I think this is pretty common for folks who find out that they really love it. I just started at the end of last year/beginning of this year, and before we had even completed our 1st batch, we were experimenting with our own Porter recipe and ordering an additional LBK so we can have multiple batches going at the same time.

For us, it's really about experimenting with stuff, despite some warnings against going too far off recipe too soon, we have been extremely lucky and every batch and been tasty thus far. I think that if you feel like experimenting, you should go and do it, regardless of where you are at, as long as you are prepared for the consequences. You can't let a bad batch deter you from brewing, and I think that's what a lot of the concern is when people advise new folks and not to experiment too much early on. The fear is, somebody new try something outrageous, orcuts a corner,or just makes a bad decision, they ferment for 3 weeks, bottle condition another month, by the time they tasted and find out it's terrible, they are so disappointed they don't want to brew at all anymore. If that's you, then definitely don't experiment. But for us, trying new things, blending flavors that we think will work is so much of the fun that we are perfectly prepared for the inevitable bad batch. We're in this for the long haul, LOL

+100 to Brumble

Some people can deal with failure ( and learn from it), and some can't.  If you can, your giong to have fun. If you can't,  read every post on this forum ( twice ), then read and print out the sticky's, and follow them. There is a lot of great information here, but proceed at your own speed.

Yes, the obsession is real!

Once you find your rhythm and get a pipeline flowing you'll probably find that the franticness will subside a bit and then the desire to start delving deeper into equipment and larger batches will take hold. My wife just rolls her eyes but I have found her finishing a lot of my beers if I step out of the room...

Enjoy :-)

Drunk House Brew said:So I bought my Br. Beer kit 2 weeks ago. It came with the classic american light witch is in the carbonation stage. I picked up the last 2 cans of patriot lager from my local academy store this morning and have one in the LBK. I haven't even tried my first home brew and I'm already completely obsessed with it. Has this happened with anyone else?

Actually, you're the first person to do that.  It's quite concerning.  Have you sought professional help?

RickBeer said:
Drunk House Brew said:So I bought my Br. Beer kit 2 weeks ago. It came with the classic american light witch is in the carbonation stage. I picked up the last 2 cans of patriot lager from my local academy store this morning and have one in the LBK. I haven't even tried my first home brew and I'm already completely obsessed with it. Has this happened with anyone else?

Actually, you're the first person to do that.  It's quite concerning.  Have you sought professional help?

Quoting Larry the Cable Guy, " Now that's funny, right there.  I don't care who you are."

So I bought my Br. Beer kit 2 weeks ago. It came with the classic american light witch is in the carbonation stage. I picked up the last 2 cans of patriot lager from my local academy store this morning and have one in the LBK. I haven't even tried my first home brew and I'm already completely obsessed with it. Has this happened with anyone else?

let's see, I started brewing in Jan.  I have two 5 gallon all grain brews fermenting, one Mr Brew brew waiting to be bottled and I will be legging two patriot lagers in a week. So yes I guess I have also gotten a bit obsessive. 

I haven't even tried my first brew yet and the obsession is BAD. I went out and bought every refill academy had. $200 later I'm set on HME for a little bit. I just ordered 2 more LBKs this morning.

I'm obsessed. My CAL is also in the carbonation stage. I have a my two LBK's busy fermenting away at both a seasonal brew and a hard cider for the wife. I've also probably poured about 500$ into this hobby now after about 3 weeks. I have like 14 refills left and i'm stockpiled for accessories. I plan on being able to brew my own beer from scratch by the time I go through these refills. I want to keep this hobby for life. I look forward to watching my brews develop. Happy brewing!

Pitched my first batch yesterday, ordered three more LBK's today!  You can't take it with you....

Next batch will be a nod to SWMBO with the CAL (she's a Coors Light girl), then I'm thinking Canadian Blonde... not sure after that...

Obsession continues:  First batch is a week old, and I've done the following:

1. Ordered three more LBKs

2. Bought Mr. Beer Oktoberfest refill

3. Bought 2 more cases of Mr. Beer Bottles

4. Bought 1 case of longnecks with capper and caps

5. Bought 4 vintage Grolsch bottles at Goodwill

6. Bought a 4-pack of Grolsch at Specs (turns out the full bottles are the same prices as the empties...)

7. Bought a Coopers 5 gal Canadian Blonde HME, 1lb Light DME, 2.5lbs Corn Sugar, 1oz Cascade hops

8. Bought a window AC and set up a fermentation chamber

Planning now how to get a temp control on the garage fridge at home so I can brew some lagers.  My wife doesn't know I'm in so deep.

Still searching craigslist for more...

Wasson65 said:Obsession continues:  First batch is a week old, and I've done the following:

1. Ordered three more LBKs

2. Bought Mr. Beer Oktoberfest refill

3. Bought 2 more cases of Mr. Beer Bottles

4. Bought 1 case of longnecks with capper and caps

5. Bought 4 vintage Grolsch bottles at Goodwill

6. Bought a 4-pack of Grolsch at Specs (turns out the full bottles are the same prices as the empties...)

7. Bought a Coopers 5 gal Canadian Blonde HME, 1lb Light DME, 2.5lbs Corn Sugar, 1oz Cascade hops

8. Bought a window AC and set up a fermentation chamber

Planning now how to get a temp control on the garage fridge at home so I can brew some lagers.  My wife doesn't know I'm in so deep.

Still searching craigslist for more...

I'd suggest you slow down, because I'm seeing at least one big problem - 2.5 lbs of Corn sugar.  I hope you don't plan on putting that in the Cooper's batch?  

I'm doing that on the advice of my LHBS.  The lady there has a relative that isn't much into craft beers, preferring Coors Light (same as my wife...).

She told me that the only homebrews that her relative will drink are made with the Coopers Canadian Blonde, either with the DME or with the dextrose, that they are different but she likes both of them and will happily drink  them.

So this is a nod toward SWMBO, to get something that she can enjoy and hopefully that makes this more of an us thing instead of a me thing.

Tim

I has wanted to try this for years . Finally bought a kit and started my first batch December 2013 . One month later bought 2 more lbks. Now brew about twice a month and have a nice little pipeline going . One side effect I noticed to this is a better appreciation for beer . I spend $50 / 150 a month on supplies . Got a good lhbs about a hour ride away on the "el" train .. So its worth it too make a day of hitting the lhbs , then btewing a batch . I m not obsessed, just spoiled ! One side effect I noticed is a better appreciation for beer . ( And I thought C@@s Lite was good beer ) . 6 months ago I never would have took a 2nd drink of a Craft beer , now I only drink craft beers .Like I said , I 'm not obsessed , just spoiled !

Wasson65 said:I'm doing that on the advice of my LHBS.  The lady there has a relative that isn't much into craft beers, preferring Coors Light (same as my wife...).

She told me that the only homebrews that her relative will drink are made with the Coopers Canadian Blonde, either with the DME or with the dextrose, that they are different but she likes both of them and will happily drink  them.

So this is a nod toward SWMBO, to get something that she can enjoy and hopefully that makes this more of an us thing instead of a me thing.

Tim

I applaud your efforts to win SWMBO over.  You should find that the batch made with 2.5 lbs of sugar is cidery tasting and takes a long time to age, and is much inferior to the batch made with DME.  Take some time to read on the forums, you'll see that adding dextrose is not recommend by anyone.  Comparing head to head will reveal that to you.  

Make sure you allow at least 4 weeks in bottles, at 70 degrees, for proper carbonation and conditioning.  The sugar batch will likely require 8 weeks or more to lose the cidery taste, if it ever does.

Good for you and yes it is an obsession! I brewed my first Mr Beer 12/27/2013, have 2 LBK's, 3 slimlines converted to fermenters, 2 6.5 Gallon Ale Pails, among grain equipment and have progressed to 5 gallon All Grain brews and kegging. Sunday brewed 5.5 gallons of batch #10 "North Port Pils", partial extract & mash!

RickBeer said:  You should find that the batch made with 2.5 lbs of sugar is cidery tasting and takes a long time to age, and is much inferior to the batch made with DME.  

I think I gave the wrong impression.  The 2.5 lb's of sugar was the package size they had to sell, I'm only planning on using one pound of sugar.  Does that take some of the edge off?   lol!

Tim

Wasson65 said:
RickBeer said:  You should find that the batch made with 2.5 lbs of sugar is cidery tasting and takes a long time to age, and is much inferior to the batch made with DME.  

I think I gave the wrong impression.  The 2.5 lb's of sugar was the package size they had to sell, I'm only planning on using one pound of sugar.  Does that take some of the edge off?   lol!

Tim

Yes, but it will still be worse than the DME batch.  Comparison will be good.