Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Brian N.

Excellent after 5 months!

Bottled a batch of Oktoberfest November 5 and had my next to last bottle last night - it was excellent. I id add some MB smooth LME, steeped a pound of Vienna and some Goldings hops too. it was worth saving a couple of bottles. Body excellent, perfect color, smooth but robust flavor, nice hop undertone, clean finish. On my list as a definite repeat brew, and i will hold all the bottles for 4-5 months.

@Brian N.:

This is exactly what I needed to hear! I brewed a batch of Oktoberfest about a 2 months ago and planned on waiting till October to actually drink the beer. Now I just need to find several other beers to drink while I'm waiting!!

My Oktoberfest 2014 is already in the bottle. It'll be fine. I don't agree with the MrB instructions when they say not to store it over 4 months.

Just used some Vienna in a Pils I did Sunday, wanted to use some Biscuit but LHBS was out. He told me to munch on some of the Vienna grain for an idea of taste, I will be using it again!

Are these conditioning at room temp or lagering in the fridge?Why would you make a beer now that your not planning on even tasting for another five months that has already conditioned for 2 months? Drink your beer! Enjoy it Unless its a 10%+ ass kicker or a Belgian Lambic that's absolutely ridiculous for a basic MB refill with added hops and MB yeast.If the beer has been condioning for two months I.e. 4-5wks warm & 4 weeks cold its been ready go for it! You can make another Oktoberfest in July and it  will be kick ass by Oct.

A 4.7% Oktoberfest and your not going to try one until after 4 or 5 months!? Umm  if you anything wrong with that beer that's a hell of a long time to wait and then you may have to dump it. Conditioning time is based on what's in the beer and temperature.Five months is like Barley Wine conditioning time.

Thanks for your A&& kicking observations...

Many beers become better over time.  Those of us that maintain a pipeline find that except for wheat beers and a few others, the LONGER they condition the more the flavors meld.  Oktoberfest, with some LME, is quite good over time as Brian noted.

As far as dumping a beer, I've never had a beer go bad in bottles - my only bad batch tasted bad before I bottled and after conditioning still did - it had an infection.

KLR, I don't find it unusual at all to store beer 5 months. Obviously I will try a couple bottles soon just to make sure something didn't go haywire. With steeping grain, DME, HME, and hops there's no rush.

Brian and TorBrewer were saying that were making beers and not trying one until after 4-6 months. The beers they are talking about are around 4.7% 4-6 months. I make beer not wine if it takes 4-6 months for a 4.7% Oktoberfest to mature they must be maturing it on the moon.I make beer to enjoy and share with friends and family not collect batches of bottled  beer to see the longevity of it. Guys we brew with extract and make great beer to drink and enjoy sooner not later I make a lot of different beer styles from 4-10% and I've never had to wait more then 3 months to drink it.if you want to wait six months for a case of beer have at it but I like variety in small quantities that I can enjoy not look at for six months and wonder how it tastes.

KLR said:Brian and TorBrewer were saying that were making beers and not trying one until after 4-6 months. The beers they ate talking about are around 4.7% 4-6 months. I make beer not wine if it takes 4-6 months for a 4.7% Oktoberfest to mature they must be maturing it on the moon.I make beer to enjoy and share with friends and family not collect batches of bottled  beer to see the longevity of it. Guys we brew with extract and make great beer to drink and enjoy sooner not later I make a lot of different beer styles from 4-10% and I've never had to wait more then 3 months to drink it.if you want to wait six months for a case of beer have at it but I like variety in small quantities that I can enjoy not look at for six months and wonder how it tastes.

Great that you do it that way.  Most of us like a big selection and like to enjoy it over time by building a pipeline.  I've got 14 different brews right now across 10 1/2 cases, with close to two more cases not yet at 4 weeks.  I was up to 17 different brews.  We wait longer because we can.  Want to wait - not have to wait.

Wow build a  pipiline? Oh making beer for bragging rights I get it.

KLR said:Wow build a  pipiline? Oh making beer for bragging rights I get it.

Yes, you are correct.  I build my pipeline for bragging rights.  I also drive a Cadillac Escalade all pimped out, and talk about the size of things...

The reason I brew beer is for selection.  I take great pleasure in having over a dozen beers to pick from - today I had a White House Honey Porter followed by a White House Honey Ale after a long day cleaning out a cluttered attic.  Gave me great pleasure to have that selection - and drink MY brews.  

I love having a pipeline.  To me it's not bragging to point out to new brewers that if they build a pipeline then waiting for a brew to mature is a good thing, and the pipeline makes it so you're not so anxious that you drink your brews too early and then quit the hobby.  

So please, feel free to ridicule us mentioning pipelines, and waiting 5 months, and whatever else you want.  Brian provides very valuable help to newbies, as does Gophers6 and many others.  

Hmm, should I have a third one?  Pipeline is 75 miles away, we're down to 1/2 dozen in the batch we brought to the lake.  Oh my god, the pipeline is empty here...

No click here brother. The only person to speak the gospel was Jesus. Your words not gospel and either is your arsenal of beer your full of yourself and its obvious and you have a couple of followers. Challenging what you guys say or do is a compliment if you could see the big picture when you climb down off your high horse maybe you'd see that.                    

No need to disrespect another persons opinion or the way they do things. We are all on the forum to share, discuss and learn. Keep it cool (the beer and tempers), relax and have a homebrew. Darn - just finished my last Oktoberfest, but the pipeline is full of other tasty brews!

The brewing with Mr Beer book suggest letting the basic refills condition for 2 months and the more complex and higher abv recipes should ultimately condition for 6 months.  5 weeks ago I bottled 1 batch of Belgian blanc and 1 batch of blond ambition. The Belgian blanc is clear tasty and ready to drink. The blond ambition is a bit cloudy and although it’s drinkable it needs further conditioning. Thanks to the information gathered from the forum, I not only knew one would be ready before the other but the reason why. It’s taken 5 months but I now have 5 batches bottled and the start of my pipeline.  

From my own experience with conditioning:

The Belgian Blanc is a 4.5 % ABV recipe so the warm conditioning time should be approximately:

5wks.

The Blonde Ambition recipe on the other hand comes in at 7.9% which should require:

8 wks. warm conditioning time so about 3 weeks more warm conditioning at around 68-70 degrees should put that beer where it needs to be. I recommend refrigeration for a minimum of 2 weeks for both beers before drinking.

Hope this helps. Good Luck!

I started brewing in Feb and now I have 11 different beers aging. And I for one love having more then one beer to chose from have about 6 that are good to drink...my favorite to date is a Coopers Canadian Blonde dry hopped with 14g amarillo.... i have a Australian pale ale and a English bitter fermenting right now