Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
rudy

Mash Tun

After 2 years of extract brewing its time to move up. I will be doing my first full boils this weekend (hef and a patersbeer). Then its 2 partial mashes after that so my first all grain should be early fall. I`ve been assembling things as I go. Using a 10 gallon cooler as a mash tun and a 5 as the hot liquor tank.Before I make the mash tun I was wondering if I lined it with a large BIAB bag and just used that as the filter,would I still have to install the stainless water supply line that most use to filter the first runnings? I plan on doing the vorlauf and batch sparging just like you would normally do but just use the bag as a filter. Really looking foward to this. Thanks

I've thought about that before but I THINK that you would have a strong bias of flow from the grain bed directly over the spigot so efficiency would suffer.  However, if you kept the bag suspended above the cooler bottom it should be no problem (maybe put a colander on the bottom???).  I did not want to take the risk of spending a whole day to make a potentially subpar beer so sported on down to the LHBS and picked up a false bottom.

Congrats on the AG leap! 

Thanks for the reply. I put everything together,filled it with 10 gallons of water last night and this morning,not a drop leaked. I think I will just go with the stainless braid since most seem to use that. I was wondering if I put a small piece of high temp tubing with several holes drilled in it inside the braided hose to prevent it from collapse would be a good idea or am I just overthinking things. Thanks

Dont see why that wouldnt work.  Many people coil a piece of heavy copper wire and stick inside the braid.

Yes you can use a BIAB and skip the whole manifold mess. some people even split there grain bill into multiple bags, makes it easier to lift them out. here is a link to a video of a guy using this method.

I will be using this method next month to do a barley wine. I will split my grain bill in to 2 bags.
  • Like 1

Rob, I saw that video too and thought it was great. I bought a voile curtain from walmart for 5 bucks. My sister in law sewed it into a large bag that fits in my 10 gallon igloo cooler. She tripple stiched the seams. I`m also going to put a 1ft piece of high temp hose with several holes in it on the inside under the bag so I dont draw wort from just the spigot area. I still plan on single infusion with batch sparge but doing the whole thing at once sounds appealing.Will be doing a basic dry stout for the trial run and will keep you posted

Ended up doing an Altbier with an 11,5 lb grain bill. The homade curtain/bag worked perfect but did just as dayooper thought.Little to no flow from the spigot. I lifted the bag slightly and it flowed great. Batch sparged  and did the same thing.   Ended up with 6.5 gallons and hit all my numbers. You guys were right that the AG gets easier as you do it. Thanks

Great job hitting your numbers first time around!  Im still dialing in my "new" tun although to be honest have been doing mainly extract with the craziness of summer.  Gotta keep the pipeline full!  Nice thing about LBKs is you can have a 20 minute brew day if that is all the time you have.  For large batches Ive been kegging as then I only have one big, giant bottle to clean and "cap."

Ahh yes the joys of all grain.  My nice simple mash tun has evolved into a HERMS.  Always messing with it.  Right working on getting it ready to brew after an extended break.