Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
eaststmike

1776 oops...

My 1776 ale was the last of 4 beers that I made tonight. I was a little bleary eyed and accidently pitched both yeasts..brewers and 05. Any thoughts on what will happen?...should I worry about exploding LBK?

If the only issue is extra yeast, that's not going to cause any problems. 

Thanks...I wasn't sure if it would drastically change the flavor or cause an explosion. Will it give the beer a "yeasty" flavor?

Overpitching the yeast shouldn't cause a yeasty flavor, and I would not call your amount significant overpitching.  If anything, overpitching the yeast could decrease the yeast's flavor profile by not requiring the yeast to multiply as much.  Yeasty flavor can come from leaving the beer on the yeast cake too long, but this isn't an issue until about 6 weeks in the fermenter (a process called "autolysis", when the yeast gets so hungry that it starts to eat the trub).

My first batch of American Ale, I substituted Safale US-05 on the advice of my LHBS, as I was concerned that my temperature control for fermentation might be less than ideal.  He stressed to me to go ahead and use the entire 11.5 gram package, saying that there are worse consequences from under-yeasting than over-yeasting, and that it was really pretty hard to over-yeast to the point where there were deleterious effects.

Anyway, just passing along the advice I was given, I guess I can figure out if he was right in 6 more weeks...

Tim

It may taste slightly different but both are fairly clean so you should notice.  Fromunda likes somewhat warmer temps than 05.

That's way too much. He's right in that underpitching but 11.5 grams is overkill for the volume of wort. For future reference try the pitching calculator at www.mrmalty.com . 

NarcolepZZZZZZ said:That's way too much. He's right in that underpitching but 11.5 grams is overkill for the volume of wort. For future reference try the pitching calculator at www.mrmalty.com . 

Since you know nothing about Mr. Beer, How can you make a statement about anything on this forum?

Because I do know about mr beer and i know about brewing in general.  know that certain styles of beer at whatever volume and whatever OG require various pitching rates. Advising somebody to possibly take a look at a calculator and adjusting the pitching rate is good solid advice. Stop being a prick. I didn't twll the man he fucked his beer up. I said that 11.5 g of US-05 is way too much for 2 gallons. He should be looking to putch around .4g give or take, depending on the style, OG, and volume. Calm down. His beer will turn out just fine. RDWHAHB

Liike I said before this forum is owned by a company that you do not endorse, so your advice needs to be given on a forum that is not owned by the company that you do not endorse.

You two are pretty funny……..

It’s just BEER folks.  

To paraphrase Sgt Hulka - 'Lighten up Francis and Francis'

I had no intention of being rude or anything. I love helping people get into brewing and understand whats happening and how to grow.  Apparently it's a crime. If people are using Mr. Beer or Beer machine or a $10,000 setup, it all come down to beer. I just wanted to help. :sniffle::ppl

NarcolepZZZZZZ said:That's way too much. He's right in that underpitching but 11.5 grams is overkill for the volume of wort. For future reference try the pitching calculator at www.mrmalty.com . 

Don't worry, for the most part in home brewing it is difficult to overpitch.  Could you have saved some money and only used half the sachet of 05 (and not the Fromunda yeast)?  Most certainly.  Will anything bad happen?  Only if you are in the Mideast as you have made beer (which is illegal over there).

For future reference, many of the MrB recipes include another specialty yeast as you now know.  After awhile you may end up with more of the Fromunda yeast than you need or want.  Bring the water to a boil, add the sachet of the unwanted yeast, boil for 5-10 minutes, and voila you have now killed it and turned it into a yeast nutrient.

Can’t we all just get along (or ‘a bong’)?

You’re right Narc, it all comes down to beer. Where or how the beer is made is irrelevant. One could ferment in a toilet tank so long as it is sanitized.

I do partials, steeps w/extract and HMEs (MrB and others). I do LBK batches and 5gal batches. I like doing MrB because brew-day is normally less than an hour from sanitizing to clean up which is great because I don’t have a lot of time in the spring/summer due to yardwork.

RickS – While I appreciate your standing up for MrB, all input/comments should be welcome here. It’s a public forum. Unless Narc starts being an @sshole, why shouldn’t he be able to post? As long as one person finds him (or her) helpful, why censor him just because he doesn’t use MrB?

Specificatly, what problems occur with overpitching ?

I ask because I am now in the habit of pitching full packs of 05 per LBK. It works fast, cleans up nice, and slightly higher ABV's don't bother it. Don't mention cost, because if it costs me 2 extra bucks to insure a good brew, I'll do it. Any other problems I'll take into consideratiin.

If I've screwed my beer then I did having done my homework.  The advice i got was from some of the nicest people around who seem to be the principles in a highly respected lhbs.  Somehow I don't think he's going to tell me to make bad beer so he can sell 1/2 pack more yeast to me.  Plus in all the boneheaded woe-is-me posts on our little site here, I haven't come across any where their beer failed due to too much yeast. So I'm guessing it's not a huge deal...  Anyway, it's just asking nature to take its course in spoiling some sugary soup, so I'll bank on mother natures ability to make do with 11 grams too much yeast....

Underpitching can cause problems with off-flavors, but the main risk of overpitching is ending up with slightly reduced flavors and aromas if those are what you want from your yeast, since it would spend less time in its growth phase.  But if what you want is a clean fermentation, that's not a problem.  And it would take more than 11 grams of yeast in a 2 gallon batch to really constitute overpitching to an extent that it would be a problem. 

Yeast produce different flavors during the various stages of their lifecycle. Overpitching shortens or skips their "growth" phase (maybe a better name is "division" or "budding"). The bulk of a beer's esters are produced during this initial stage, so missing out on a fully-developed life cycle robs an ale of this often desirable quality.A by-product of yeast metabolism is acetaldehyde, characterized by green apple flavor. During a full fermentation yeast will scrub much of this undesirable compound out of the beer. Overpitching could result in a noticeable amount of acetaldehyde left over. 

That being said, underpitching is worse than overpitching. That was the technical answer to your question. In the end, RDWHAHB

Pretty hard to overpitch with one 11 mg packet! That said I would rather overpitch than underpitch and have an unfinished, yeast stressed beer. I have done 5 gallon batches using a full US-05 AND the MR Beer fromunda and came away with very clean crisp beers! The only issue I see is it cost you an extra couple bucks! 

I'm confused. Two different kinds of yeast in a five gallon batch in a carboy or two LBKs? 

Hi,

I too like mr. Beer products and have brewed 34 different recipes using nothing but mr beer products. I endorse Mr. Beer also and make great tasting beer from all their products. I use nothing but their fermenter and yeast and their different recipes. EVERY beer I have made tasted great. I let all my beer ferment 3 weeks and bottle using sugar cubes into PET Mr. beer bottles and have drank 3 year old beer in theses bottles and they were still great.